A-Rod doesn't want to extend Dallas Braden's "15 minutes of fame"

May 8, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT

From the “In Case You Missed It” file, on Friday Alex Rodriguez responded to Dallas Braden’s interview with CSN’s Mychael Urban from earlier this week. He told reporters, via ESPNNewYork.com:

“I think Major League Baseball reads the same articles as we do,”
Rodriguez said. “Now, look, I really don’t want to extend his extra 15
minutes of fame.”

I understand that people disagree on whether Rodriguez broke an unwritten rule, but I gotta say, I really love his answer here. Not only is he absolutely right, but he takes a considerable dig at Braden at the same time. Also, watching this interview between Braden and Urban again, I can’t help but feel how contrived and silly it all is. Either way, I assure you that MLB is taking it very seriously.

1. Shane - May 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Everyone involved is pretty silly, but I agree, it is a perfect answer by A-Rod. Braden’s righteous indignation is laughable.

2. Sonny - May 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Braden is a nobody , he already received his 15 minutes of fame . The scumbag ought to crawl back into his hole.

3. SouthofHeaven - May 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Ooh. Need some ointment for that burn, palooka?

4. olepoke - May 8, 2010 at 8:56 PM

5. Bud - May 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM

The problem with Braden is; he is Gearld Myers and Kent Hance trained at Texas Tech.

6. Chas - May 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Aroid is a proven cheater,and all around lowlife POS who can play a child’s’ game quite well. I hope he gets drilled as often as possible.When you are the industries top mercenary, you deserve a little of what you earn.

7. whitty - May 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Yeah, screw A-Rod! How dare he accept the enormous contracts multiple teams have offered him over his career!
    A-Rod’s biggest crime, other than testing positive for steroids during the early stages of MLB drug testing, is what? Wanting to win to the point that he’ll stretch the rules and/or try to get into his opponent’s head? I can name great player after great player with that same exact trait, across multiple sports? Personal/family issues? He’s a baseball player, not Gandhi.
    But yeah, he totally deserves to get beaned repeatedly, because beyond making more money than other players, he’s done all these terrible things that no other baseball player would ever do.
    Oh wait.

8. Big Harold - May 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM

“A-Rod’s problem is that no amount of home runs will make up for a lack of maturity and class.”
    Sure they will, not with jackasses that hate A-Rod no matter what, .. like YOU.
    Regardless of ones objective opinion about A-Rod, (not yours of course), this guy Braden is an imbecile. If one insist on making a case against A-Rod, no matter what, they should try to have facts on their side. This clown, and his idiotic statements, IS NOT a good example. Better luck next time oledude.

9. Yankee 13 - May 9, 2010 at 12:32 AM

What’s the funniest is that most of the low lifes on this board that are bashing A-ROD have got to be Boston fans.
    Look I am as big a Yankee fan as they come but I’ll tell you this:
    A-ROD is a child. He is the only one on my team that I really do not like. That being said, this Braden guy is really stupid. Shut the hell up already. And as for the people who have to keep bringing up the steriods thing with A-ROD, at least he had the balls to admit it, unlike a certain large creature in Boston who basically denied the whole damn thing, and a total moron out in LA who ended up suspended for 50 games.

10. fvck you - May 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Yankee 13 if you don’t like A-rod after his post-season performance last year then you’re certainly no Yankee fan, if not for him, it’s questionable whether or not we’d have won it all. I used to be a hater but not after last year

11. boltswm23 - May 9, 2010 at 1:58 AM

I think I speak for all Yankee fans when I say Yankee13 isn’t a Yankees fan. He’s an idiot with no sense. Do you not know what A-Rod did for the Yankees last year? Shut up. You’re not a Yankees fan.

12. boltswm23 - May 9, 2010 at 1:59 AM

13. airedale1950 - May 9, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Doesn’t matter who is a fan of whom. The bottom line is you have some kid with questionable talent shooting his toilet to capitalize on a percieved issue with a star. i’m surprised this guys teammates don’t get involved and tell him to dummy up.
    …and I think we should have a separate forum here for all the little fan-boys to bicker about there little jealousies and infantile petty rivalries. Pretty soon these dopes are going to be screaming ” my old man can beat up your old man…” and ” ..oh yeah….well, well …your Mommies a whore!”
    Grow up you guys.

14. Charles Gates - May 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM

What area code was Alex representin’ when he said the above?

15. SouthofHeaven - May 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Easy for you to tell people to grow up, with your whore mom!!!
    (Joking!!)

16. Nick - May 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

At least he had the “balls to admit it”?
    What planet are you from? He was caught red-handed, after straight up lying on national TV on CBS…once the reports came out and he was caught cheating, he then admitted it. THat’s not balls.
    Dallas Braden has got to get over himself. He should just shut up.
    But Aroid is a cheating scumbag.
    Im a JAys fan, and i remember a couple of seasons back when there was a pop fly, and as aroid was rounding the bases, he screamed “i got it” to the jays shortstop, who then stepped away and missed the ball.
    He is really a lowlife, a completely classless ballplayer. He is still a remarkable baseball talent though.
    The fight between Braden and Aroid are like 2 little kids. THey wont stop scratching at each other until their coaches tell them too.

17. Nasty Boy - May 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

As usual Big, well said . Another poster also got it right with his comment :” This scumbag (Braden) ought to crawl back into his hole “

18. capitagnu - May 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

alright, A-Rod is a total d-bag, only the most stubborn people would argue that. However, in this case I have to say he is right. Shut the hell up and play baseball, your petty argument isn’t making you throw better and CMON! it’s A-Rod….take solace in the fact that he is a walking talking joke anyhow, leave it at that.

19. Old Gator - May 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Some dialog going on in here. I feel like me car broke down on a back road in cracker country and the only place I could find a phone was at the bar next to the trailer park.
    I’m relieved to find out that Major League Baseball is taking Barden “seriously.” I can see the sportswriting world is taking him seriously – stupidity of his magnitude has always been something of a meal ticket for the semi-literate hordes of the contemporary press. The question is, what’s worth being “taken seriously” here? Is Barden really the only case of arrested emotional and intellectual development in baseball? He should pack it in for a week and go take a Cougar Life cruise with Tonya Harding. If he doesn’t need two weeks on the DL by the time he gets back, at least his hormone levels ought to be back in the normal range for his age group.

20. Old Gator - May 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Correction, that’s Braden, not Barden. Barden sometimes scampers in from the boolpen for the Feesh. Brain lock at nine o’clock.

21. Robert Greene - May 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Alex shows tremendous class. It is to bad that this idiot Braden does not realize it. Braden can’t carry Alex’s jock strap let alone play on the same field. What idiots. NO ONE WITH ANY BRAINS PERIOD WILL TAKE BRADEN’S SIDE IN THIS SILLY MESS. ALEX WAS RIGHT TO CLOSE HIM OUT PERIOD. BOB

22. davidc45629 - May 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM

How do you like your crow cooked? lol

23. davidc45629 - May 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

What I don’t get is this story was posted at 5:20 ET. Braden had to have been 6 innings deep in his perfect game. Good job, dummy.

24. Jason - May 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Hilarious, I guess A-Roid is eating his words now. A part of the book he won’t ever join without controversy, it only took Dallas 2hrs to do.

25. phil weirick - May 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM

well guess what– dallas braden just through a perfect game against the the rays, the majors best team to date. alex–show some friggin respect to this nobody. theres only been 19 perfect games in the history of this game. what the hell have you done chump.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5035)