May 8, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
The Dodgers activated Manny Ramirez from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday. He is expected to be in the starting lineup against Jhoulys Chacin and the Rockies later tonight. Ramirez has been sidelined since April 23 due to a strained left calf.
Ramirez, who turns 38 in May, was batting .415/.500/.659 with two homers and 12 RBI over his first 41 at-bats before going on the DL. Take heed of small sample sizes, but Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. finds that the Dodgers have scored 6.53 runs per game with Manny in the lineup this season, and 3.93 runs per game without him. And this is with his replacements (Xavier Paul, Reed Johnson and Garret Anderson) batting a combined .415/.500/.659.
Anytime you can bring a bat like Manny back to your lineup, it’s a very good thing, but the Dodgers biggest problem right now is their starting pitching. Entering play on Saturday, Dodgers starters have combined for a 4.86 ERA — 13th in the National League. They are second to last in the league with 76 walks over 151 1/3 innings. Manny can’t fix that.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)