Hangin' out in the Tribe Social Deck

May 8, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

UPDATE:  Sorry about that folks. No, I didn’t die, but I was almost washed away. The game was cruising along nicely until the middle of the fourth and then the rains came. Although to call it rain is a bit of an insult. This was more of a deluge. Then the hail. Then the high winds. The tarp blew off once. It was a wild scene. Obviously the game was postponed. The only people happy about were Jeremy Bonderman and David Huff who got all those runs they gave up erased.

The Indians’ people were awesome about it all, though, and invited the other bloggers and me to come back whenever we’d like, so I’ll definitely be hitting the Social Deck again sometime soon.

And it wasn’t a total loss for me. I met a cool guy: Paul Cousineau of the Indians’ blog DiaTribe.  We chatted for a long time about life, baseball, Mad Dog 20/20 in brown bags at the University of Dayton and everything.  Definitely check out his blog, because it’s one of the good ones.

Friday 7:36 PM: So I’m blogging live from Progressive Field. The Tribe Social Deck was a pretty sweet setup: right on the rail just inside the left field foul pole.  I say “was” because the blogger class has been relocated to a covered section at the top of the lower deck behind the Cleveland dugout. There’s an almost 100% chance of monster rain in an hour or so, and they want us to be able to continue to blog and tweet without the fear of electronics damage.  Good move. Nice seats!

I have to say, I dig the vibe where I am. In front of me are a bunch of Tigers fans that look like they’ve been drinking since they hit the Ohio Turnpike. They’re serious too: they smuggled in multiple Busch Light tallboys which they’ve stashed under their seats. What they lack in taste they make up for in moxie, and so far I’m their biggest fan. Someone on Twitter suggested to me that they’re having an Irish wake for Ernie Harwell.  I’m going with that.

So far David Huff isn’t exactly fooling anyone. Jeremy Bonderman isn’t either, really. Miguel Cabrera and Grady Sizemore have hit home runs.

Everyone who has seen my laptop is asking me for the Cavs-Celtics score. I’ve been telling them that this laptop is specially-wired to only pick up baseball. I know that it’s 32-15 Cleveland, but I’m not tellin’. You people came to a ballgame. If the Cavs are that important stay at home.

Back to the game.  More later.

1. Doracle - May 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Have fun, Craig. I’m alternating between the Cavs and Indians, because I love baseball and try to have my priorities straight. Yeah, I know that I should be sticking to the Indians, but I do like me some Cavs basketball.
    Maybe Hafner can get another jack and pretend that his career isn’t Ortiz-level finished.

2. Charles Gates - May 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I like how the Indians organization is being progressive towards e-journalism. But, how they failed to name your current locale ‘Mother’s Basement’ is a serious marketing blunder.
    And who are the Cavs and Celtics? Some AA affiliates?

3. Jonny5 - May 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I’m just pissed you didn’t get to see Moyer pitch a complete game shutout. It was a work of art. He painted the corners like Davinci in a baseball cap and knickers. i don’t believe it. 2 hits.

4. Doracle - May 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Looks like lovely Cleveland weather. Glad you can get the full North Coast experience.

5. Motherscratcher - May 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Craig, the city of Cleveland has not celebrated a championship since 1964 so yes…the Cavs are that important. Doesn’t mean we don’t love our Tribe, but don’t deny a fan the score, dude.
    The Cav’s game’s over anyway. That sound you heard a few minutes ago was the sound of 100,000 sphincter’s loosening simultaneously.
    My spelling should not be this good considering how drunk I am.

6. Old Gator - May 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do they call it the North Coast when it’s on the south coast of the Lake? That’s the kind of thing they’d do in Macondo, but I was wondering how it comes to pass in regions less susceptible to heat stroke.
    By the way, Craig, did you go lay a wreath of weeds on Pete Franklin’s tumulus?

7. GimmeSomeSteel - May 8, 2010 at 2:55 AM

It’s a matter of perspective, Gator. The “North Coast” is the northern edge of Ohio. Do you question why the East Coast is on the western edge of the Atlantic Ocean, or why the West Coast is on the eastern edge of the Pacific?

8. Charles Gates - May 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM

So wait, if I’m standing right side up, why don’t all the Chinese have issues with blood rushing to their heads? And more over, why don’t they just fall off the earth? They must have velcro shoes or something…

9. YankeesfanLen - May 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Surprised you didn’t make more of the issue that you lasted 4 and a Huff innings, or something like that.
    Beckett’s final line: Offense two, defense 1.

10. Old Gator - May 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Well no because, as you point out, it’s a matter of perspective. There’s both an east coast and a west coast to the continent per se, just as Macondo has a “North Beach” which is north of “South Beach” which itself is south of “North Beach.” So however ridiculous it is – like, for example, traveling westward from LAX to reach the “far east” – there’s a set of contrasts within which the terms do make a kind of negative sense. That necessity for opposition within any set of terms in order to generate meaning is one of the reasons why I love my English language more than I could ever love any woman – aside, that is, from my current wife. Whereas English generates meaning out of opposition, women use it to generate senselessness. Except, as I say, for my current wife. I think my ex-wife actually left me because she realized she could never compete with Englis for my affections. That, and because she was a bitch.
    Anyway, Ohio, as you may have noticed, has no “south coast” with which to contrast its “north coast.” Hence my confusion. “Costa del Norte” works for me, though. This here is Macondo, not Cleveland, and English is rarely spoken here.
    By the way, Craig, I was watching your weather move in on The Weather Channel after the Feesh got feenished flattening Those Pesky Gnats. They gave Nicole Mitchell the night off, so I was about to change the channel to see if I could pick up some west coast (see, there we go again) games but I had to watch those great Skype transmissions of rescue copters plucking stranded cows and street urchins off the roofs of the downtown office buildings. Trez cool.

11. neil - May 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

You brought good luck to Grady Sizemore. I would like you to attend all CLE home games!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3272)