May 8, 2010, 9:10 AM EST
UPDATE: Sorry about that folks. No, I didn’t die, but I was almost washed away. The game was cruising along nicely until the middle of the fourth and then the rains came. Although to call it rain is a bit of an insult. This was more of a deluge. Then the hail. Then the high winds. The tarp blew off once. It was a wild scene. Obviously the game was postponed. The only people happy about were Jeremy Bonderman and David Huff who got all those runs they gave up erased.
The Indians’ people were awesome about it all, though, and invited the other bloggers and me to come back whenever we’d like, so I’ll definitely be hitting the Social Deck again sometime soon.
And it wasn’t a total loss for me. I met a cool guy: Paul Cousineau of the Indians’ blog DiaTribe. We chatted for a long time about life, baseball, Mad Dog 20/20 in brown bags at the University of Dayton and everything. Definitely check out his blog, because it’s one of the good ones.
Friday 7:36 PM: So I’m blogging live from Progressive Field. The Tribe Social Deck was a pretty sweet setup: right on the rail just inside the left field foul pole. I say “was” because the blogger class has been relocated to a covered section at the top of the lower deck behind the Cleveland dugout. There’s an almost 100% chance of monster rain in an hour or so, and they want us to be able to continue to blog and tweet without the fear of electronics damage. Good move. Nice seats!
I have to say, I dig the vibe where I am. In front of me are a bunch of Tigers fans that look like they’ve been drinking since they hit the Ohio Turnpike. They’re serious too: they smuggled in multiple Busch Light tallboys which they’ve stashed under their seats. What they lack in taste they make up for in moxie, and so far I’m their biggest fan. Someone on Twitter suggested to me that they’re having an Irish wake for Ernie Harwell. I’m going with that.
So far David Huff isn’t exactly fooling anyone. Jeremy Bonderman isn’t either, really. Miguel Cabrera and Grady Sizemore have hit home runs.
Everyone who has seen my laptop is asking me for the Cavs-Celtics score. I’ve been telling them that this laptop is specially-wired to only pick up baseball. I know that it’s 32-15 Cleveland, but I’m not tellin’. You people came to a ballgame. If the Cavs are that important stay at home.
Back to the game. More later.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)