May 8, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
UPDATE: Sorry about that folks. No, I didn’t die, but I was almost washed away. The game was cruising along nicely until the middle of the fourth and then the rains came. Although to call it rain is a bit of an insult. This was more of a deluge. Then the hail. Then the high winds. The tarp blew off once. It was a wild scene. Obviously the game was postponed. The only people happy about were Jeremy Bonderman and David Huff who got all those runs they gave up erased.
The Indians’ people were awesome about it all, though, and invited the other bloggers and me to come back whenever we’d like, so I’ll definitely be hitting the Social Deck again sometime soon.
And it wasn’t a total loss for me. I met a cool guy: Paul Cousineau of the Indians’ blog DiaTribe. We chatted for a long time about life, baseball, Mad Dog 20/20 in brown bags at the University of Dayton and everything. Definitely check out his blog, because it’s one of the good ones.
Friday 7:36 PM: So I’m blogging live from Progressive Field. The Tribe Social Deck was a pretty sweet setup: right on the rail just inside the left field foul pole. I say “was” because the blogger class has been relocated to a covered section at the top of the lower deck behind the Cleveland dugout. There’s an almost 100% chance of monster rain in an hour or so, and they want us to be able to continue to blog and tweet without the fear of electronics damage. Good move. Nice seats!
I have to say, I dig the vibe where I am. In front of me are a bunch of Tigers fans that look like they’ve been drinking since they hit the Ohio Turnpike. They’re serious too: they smuggled in multiple Busch Light tallboys which they’ve stashed under their seats. What they lack in taste they make up for in moxie, and so far I’m their biggest fan. Someone on Twitter suggested to me that they’re having an Irish wake for Ernie Harwell. I’m going with that.
So far David Huff isn’t exactly fooling anyone. Jeremy Bonderman isn’t either, really. Miguel Cabrera and Grady Sizemore have hit home runs.
Everyone who has seen my laptop is asking me for the Cavs-Celtics score. I’ve been telling them that this laptop is specially-wired to only pick up baseball. I know that it’s 32-15 Cleveland, but I’m not tellin’. You people came to a ballgame. If the Cavs are that important stay at home.
Back to the game. More later.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)