Jamie Moyer becomes oldest pitcher to throw a shutout

May 8, 2010, 9:31 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for moyer small.jpgFriday night provided quite an interesting contrast. On one hand, we had the excitement of 20-year-old Starlin Castro — the first major league player born in the 90s — making history in his major league debut. At the other end of the spectrum, 47-year-old Jamie Moyer became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a shutout, holding the Braves to just two hits as part of a 7-0 victory.

The previous oldest pitcher to throw a complete-game shutout was Phil Niekro, when he did it for the Yankees at the age of 46 in 1986. The last non-knuckleballer to do it? Satchel Paige.

When told of his accomplishment, the soft-tossing Moyer was pretty even-keeled about the whole thing (via Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer).

“Cool,” he said. “Just doing my job.”

Some job. Here’s a guy who continues to defy logic, surviving in a game increasingly built on youth.

1. aceshigh - May 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Major congrats to him.
    He’s not a spectacular pitcher in any way, shape or form, but to still qualify for the starting rotation for an elite team like the Phillies is something special.

2. Old Gator - May 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Jamie, when you win, you win for every old fart everywhere. Thanks for the inspiration; I’m adding another five pounds to my barbell today in your honor.

3. dlf - May 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Ehh. Coming against the Braves this isn’t too impressive. I am about 99 percent certain that Knucksie, now in his 70s, could toss a shutout against these bums and I’m about half convinced that Ol Satch himself in the grave all these years could do it too.

4. Route36West - May 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM

“Jamie Moyer became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a shutout, ”
    Thats all well an good but I think this is more amazing….
    Jamie Moyer is the only player in MLB history to throw a complete game shut out in different 4 decades.

5. Moses Green - May 9, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Now sitting in for Bob Feller, playing the grumpy old man who refuses to give credit to anyone … dlf. Thank you Mr. f.
    If I saw a 47-year-old throw a shutout in the Greater Hartford Twilight League I’d be impressed. Don’t be such a doorknob.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win