Jason Heyward might be sidelined for a little while longer

May 8, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT

Jason Heyward believes that his sore right groin has improved, but according to what Braves manager Bobby Cox told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before Friday’s game against the Phillies, he isn’t as optimistic:

“I think it’s worse than day-to-day,” Cox said. “We’re gonna wait a few
more days and see if it gets better. Hopefully we don’t have to
disable him. That would be rough right now.”

Heyward has been limited to pinch-hit duties since being pulled from Wednesday’s game against the Nationals. His pinch-hit two-run single on Thursday is the only bit of offense the Braves have mustered over the past two nights. Craig weeps.

1. willmose - May 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Jason Heyward = injury prone Jeff Francoeur

2. JBerardi - May 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Willmose = guy who doesn’t really know dick about prospects, but has opinions about them based on geographical, organizational and positional coincidence. Now watch as I carefully explain just how incredibly wrong you are:

Heyward drew 51 walks across three levels (A, AA, AAA) in ’09, against 51 strikeouts. This is when when he was 19 years old. When Francoeur was 19, he played a full season in A ball, resulting in 30 walks against 68 strikeouts. This year at age 20, Heyward has 16 walks against 26 strikeouts at the major league level. Francoeur, at the same age, had 22 walks versus 70 strikeouts… in high-A ball. He did get a cup of coffee at AA that year, where he managed to strike out 14 times and walk not even once.

I could keep going, because there’s really no end to the ways in which Heyward is a superior player to Francoeur. But really, the K/BB rates tell you everything you need to know, and show a glaring, critical difference between the two. Francoeur has/had great tools, but that’s pretty much it. Heyward can absolutely match (and exceed) those tools, but the real difference is that he has the skills to put those tools to good use.

3. willmose - May 8, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble. Players play, pretenders get hurt and watch from the sidelines. I look at what a player actually does in the big leagues as I don’t have your crystal ball. Heyward can’t play five weeks straight without going on the DL.
    While a may not know “dick” about prospects, I do know about baseball and it is played between the lines not on the training table. Oh well, it least I am not a dickless turd like you.

4. JBerardi - May 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM

My “crystal ball”, as you say, is simply a rudimentary understanding of the statistical record. So yeah, I guess you don’t have that. Also, I’d really like to know what logic leads you to the conclusion that one injury now = a guarantee of many future injuries. And, moreover, what that has to do with Francoeur, who for all his faults, is not an injury-prone player. I really don’t see what you’re driving at. Seems like you just have an irrational dislike of Heyward.

5. Vito - May 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Considering that Heyward has NEVER ben on the DL and won’t be going on it for this and has missed a grand total of 2 games due to injury… you aren’t making any sence

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3277)