May 8, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: We won’t be seeing Mauer tonight. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire tells Christensen that the Twins will see “where he’s at tomorrow or even Tuesday.”
“He’s anxious. He really wants to play, but he also knows his foot’s not
quite there yet. … We don’t want him to bang it, or he could be out a
long, long time.”
5:17 PM: Christensen writes that he hasn’t seen a lineup for Saturday’s nightcap against the Orioles, but that Drew Butera will be catching.
4:29 PM: According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Joe Mauer took batting practice and ran the bases before Saturday’s doubleheader against the Orioles. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told Joe Kieser of MLB.com that Mauer is “real close” to returning to action.
“[Mauer’s] doing a lot better,” Gardenhire said. “He’s been running
around, and he ran on the track. We’ll see how he feels before making a
Mauer hasn’t played since April 30 due to a bruised left heel. Gardenhire hasn’t ruled out using him as a pinch-hitter this weekend, but tells Kieser’s that Monday’s scheduled off-day could prove beneficial.
“The off-day is huge,” Gardenhire said. “I know Joe’s getting a little
anxious to get out there, but we’ll just have to see.”
Including the first game of Saturday’s double-dip, rookie Wilson Ramos has started six straight games behind the plate. Entering Saturday’s action, the 22-year-old is 8-for-20 (.400) with one RBI, though he has cooled down considerably of late.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)