May 8, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
There was no shortage of good news in Friday’s 6-4 win over the Giants: Mike Pelfrey allowed three runs over 7 1/3 innings, the longest outing by a Mets starter this season. Jose Reyes — still in the No. 3 spot — had two hits and a stolen base while the struggling Jason Bay ripped an RBI double. Ike Davis slugged two home runs and made a fantastic catch over the railing to thwart a ninth-inning rally and finally, Rod Barajas hit two home runs of his own, the second of which was a two-run walkoff shot.
All great stuff, especially with Bengie Molina watching from the opposing dugout, but here’s one nugget of sobering news. According to MetsBlog, Pelfrey said he still felt some tightness in his throwing shoulder.
Of course, the big right-hander underwent an MRI earlier in the week because of “general shoulder tightness” and even skipped his regular bullpen session on Tuesday as a precaution before declaring himself good to go on Wednesday. Still, Pelfrey told the New York Daily News that he has every intention of making his next start against the Nationals.
“Just so you guys don’t come around asking all week, I’m going to make
my next start,” Pelfrey said, smiling. “You don’t have to worry about
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (141)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)