May 8, 2010, 12:58 PM EST
There was no shortage of good news in Friday’s 6-4 win over the Giants: Mike Pelfrey allowed three runs over 7 1/3 innings, the longest outing by a Mets starter this season. Jose Reyes — still in the No. 3 spot — had two hits and a stolen base while the struggling Jason Bay ripped an RBI double. Ike Davis slugged two home runs and made a fantastic catch over the railing to thwart a ninth-inning rally and finally, Rod Barajas hit two home runs of his own, the second of which was a two-run walkoff shot.
All great stuff, especially with Bengie Molina watching from the opposing dugout, but here’s one nugget of sobering news. According to MetsBlog, Pelfrey said he still felt some tightness in his throwing shoulder.
Of course, the big right-hander underwent an MRI earlier in the week because of “general shoulder tightness” and even skipped his regular bullpen session on Tuesday as a precaution before declaring himself good to go on Wednesday. Still, Pelfrey told the New York Daily News that he has every intention of making his next start against the Nationals.
“Just so you guys don’t come around asking all week, I’m going to make
my next start,” Pelfrey said, smiling. “You don’t have to worry about
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)