UPDATE: Robinson Cano in lineup; Nick Johnson out "several weeks"

May 8, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT

UPDATE: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Cano is in Saturday’s starting lineup as the designated hitter, while Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Johnson will miss “several weeks” after receiving a cortisone shot for an inflamed tendon in his right wrist on Saturday.

Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have officially placed Johnson on the 15-day disabled list. Kevin Russo has been called up from Triple-A.

10:58 AM: As I mentioned in the previous post, Robinson Cano was plunked in the left knee by Josh Beckett during the sixth inning on Friday night. He actually stayed at the game, walking to first base, but was eventually replaced by Ramiro Pena after two pitches to the next batter Nick Swisher.

Fortunately for the Bombers, Cano is listed as day-to-day. Following Friday’s game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he “would be surprised” if Cano played on Saturday. Look for Pena to fill in, likely through the rest of the weekend.

While things could have been a lot worse for Cano, the prognosis for Nick Johnson isn’t quite as promising. Johnson was forced to leave Friday’s game due to soreness in his surgically-repaired right wrist. He is expected to undergo an MRI in New York on Saturday and is almost certainly headed for the disabled list. The Yankees are expected to make a roster move before Saturday’s game.

1. Nasty Boy - May 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Johnson is literally an accident waiting to happen. He has been a total bust at the plate , and now comes the injuries . I’ll bet the Matsui decision is really biting Cashman in the ass right now . The Yanks usually have a back up plan , and I think they should start thinking about it . Johnson will not be able to be counted on .

2. Cory - May 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

In what world is a .380 obp a “total bust at the plate”

3. rob - May 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM

They do have a backup plan it’s called Jesus Montero. Although to be fair, I haven’t been checking in on him this year.

4. Nasty Boy - May 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I’m not impressed with his obp , I want you to check his BA , and his strike outs . He gets his share of walks , but when a clutch hit is needed he usually strikes out , and worse yet it’s usually looking. Do your homework . Better yet tell me your dumb enough to want Johnson over Matsui .

5. Wendall - May 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I say get him up to the big team . This is just the start with Johnson, it’s his track record . I still can’t believe they didn’t resign Matsui , to get this walking disabled list .

6. Eric - May 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Cory- Johnson is batting 168, not 380- you’re thinking of Cano.

7. Damon-issue - May 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM

The way I keep reading it, Matsui jumped at a great deal from the Angels…the Yankees were hoping to sign Damon to replace Matsui, but they had to play the “waiting game” with Damon and Boras.. don’t blame Cashman for missing out on Matsui… blame Damon and Boras… if Cashman knew Damon would hold out the way he did, Cashman would have signed Matsui…. but I am psyched for Montero…

8. Cipo - May 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Cory said Johnson has a .380 OBP, not average. There’s a big difference.
    As a baseball fan, I have to say that plunking of multiple batters in the 6th inning last night was a bit troubling to say the least. To top it off, Beckett had this smug look on his face whenever he did it. I like to give pitcher’s the benefit of the doubt, especially when the hit by pitch leads to walking in a run, but Beckett didn’t seem phased in the least.

9. Nasty Boy - May 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM

If that’s the way it worked out it’s a shame . In truth I would have taken either one of them over Johnson . I just feel he can’t be counted on . I hope Montero is the real deal . I think Cash will make some kind of deal if all else fails from within the system . I’ve heard a lot about Montero , so lets get him up here .

10. jwb - May 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Johnson to the DL, Russo up.

11. Mark - May 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM

“I’ll bet the Matsui decision is really biting Cashman in the ass right now .”
    I agree. Cashman is regretting signing Johnson to hit 167-388-306 (693 OPS) when he could have signed Matsui to hit 230-307-389 (696 OPS). Oh wait, that’s right, Matsui isn’t doing a better job than Johnson.

12. bill39me - May 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Let’s see – Sabathia / Burnett / Hughes / Pettite – 16-1 with a combined ERA around 2.00 – that will cover a hole or 2 in the lineup…

13. Nasty Boy - May 8, 2010 at 4:55 PM

My point is you can count on Matsui to be in the line up not on the DL. Nick Johnson’s problem has always been staying healthy.Not to mention all the strikeouts . If and when he comes back , don’t think it will be his last trip on the DL , he could be back on it at any given time .

14. Mark - May 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Matusi isn’t exactly the healthiest guy around. He’s averaged 107 games from 06-09 after playing in 162 games for his first few years. Know how much Johnson has averaged over the same time period? 106.
    So despite what you’re trying to argue, no, Matsui isn’t exactly a guy you can count on to be healthy either.
    Johnson’s striking out a bit too much this year, but normally he’s close to 20%, not 30%. When he comes back I’d expect the strikeouts to go down.
    At the end of the day Johnson’s contributions from getting on base are more valuable to a team than Matsui’s power. And since neither of them are a safe bet to stay healthy or play in the field, it’s not a regrettable move made by Cashman to sign Johnson over Matsui.

15. Nasty Boy - May 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Don’t get me wrong I’m on Johnson’s side , but everytime you turn around he’s on the DL. When I heard they signed him I thought it was a good move . I figured Damon was fading , and I knew about Matsui’s knees . I guess I’ve just run out of patience with him . I said another Carl Pavano , and we all know how old his act got . Anyway I really hope he proves me wrong . I am impressed with your stats , I had no idea the stats were that close .

16. Cory - May 8, 2010 at 7:43 PM

The guy was getting on base a ton in front of one of the best 3-4 in baseball while slumping, you can’t ask for more than that. He won games with RBI walk.
    Getting on base .380 is amazing when you are hitting .160, do some research.

17. Big Harold - May 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Cashman knew he could never keep both Damon and Matsui. He couldn’t have two defensively challenged old DH types. I’m certain that he’d have kept one but not both and regardless it was going to be on the Yankees terms. That’s just smart baseball.
    Damon played hardball and Matsui wasn’t about to wait around for Damon to decide his future. Damon shot himself in the foot with his contractual demands and in the end the Yankees made the right choice. Johnson doesn’t seem to be working out but remember he can be replaced. He’s just a bat. Sure he plays passable defense but it was always his bat and OBP that he Yankees wanted. There are a bunch of guys that can replace him.
    Johnson’s injury isn’t good but frankly it’s not that bad either. Oh, and the Yankees are still a half game out of first despite all the injuries in the last week or so. No worries so far.

Three legends off to Cooperstown