May 8, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Cano is in Saturday’s starting lineup as the designated hitter, while Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Johnson will miss “several weeks” after receiving a cortisone shot for an inflamed tendon in his right wrist on Saturday.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have officially placed Johnson on the 15-day disabled list. Kevin Russo has been called up from Triple-A.
10:58 AM: As I mentioned in the previous post, Robinson Cano was plunked in the left knee by Josh Beckett during the sixth inning on Friday night. He actually stayed at the game, walking to first base, but was eventually replaced by Ramiro Pena after two pitches to the next batter Nick Swisher.
Fortunately for the Bombers, Cano is listed as day-to-day. Following Friday’s game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he “would be surprised” if Cano played on Saturday. Look for Pena to fill in, likely through the rest of the weekend.
While things could have been a lot worse for Cano, the prognosis for Nick Johnson isn’t quite as promising. Johnson was forced to leave Friday’s game due to soreness in his surgically-repaired right wrist. He is expected to undergo an MRI in New York on Saturday and is almost certainly headed for the disabled list. The Yankees are expected to make a roster move before Saturday’s game.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)