May 8, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Cano is in Saturday’s starting lineup as the designated hitter, while Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Johnson will miss “several weeks” after receiving a cortisone shot for an inflamed tendon in his right wrist on Saturday.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have officially placed Johnson on the 15-day disabled list. Kevin Russo has been called up from Triple-A.
10:58 AM: As I mentioned in the previous post, Robinson Cano was plunked in the left knee by Josh Beckett during the sixth inning on Friday night. He actually stayed at the game, walking to first base, but was eventually replaced by Ramiro Pena after two pitches to the next batter Nick Swisher.
Fortunately for the Bombers, Cano is listed as day-to-day. Following Friday’s game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he “would be surprised” if Cano played on Saturday. Look for Pena to fill in, likely through the rest of the weekend.
While things could have been a lot worse for Cano, the prognosis for Nick Johnson isn’t quite as promising. Johnson was forced to leave Friday’s game due to soreness in his surgically-repaired right wrist. He is expected to undergo an MRI in New York on Saturday and is almost certainly headed for the disabled list. The Yankees are expected to make a roster move before Saturday’s game.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)