May 9, 2010, 12:44 PM EST
Marlins outfield prospect Mike Stanton is on an absolute tear this season for Double-A Jacksonville with a .340 batting average, a .477 on-base percentage, an .840 slugging percentage and 14 home runs in just 27 games. Rehabbing reliever Dan Meyer was able to take in one of those homers Thursday in Jacksonville. Here’s how he described the shot to the Miami Herald’s Clark Spencer:
“I was there for Stanton’s 7,000-foot home run. … The first thing I said was I’m going to try to tell people about this and it
won’t do it any justice. It’s 395 to the wall out there in left center.
The scoreboard is probably 80 feet high, if not 100 feet. It’s a huge
scoreboard, and he cleared it. … This ball was absolutely demolished.”
The Marlins have a fairly talented outfield this season and don’t have an immediate need for Stanton’s presence in the big league lineup, but that could change if the mashing continues at Double-A. He should at least gain a promotion to Triple-A New Orleans by June.
Stanton was drafted out of high school by the Marlins in the second round of the 2007 MLB June Amateur Draft. He’s only 20 years old and won’t turn 21 until November. This kid might be something special.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)