May 9, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
They also roll modestly. During his postgame interview with the Comcast SportsNet California announcers, Braden gave credit to his catcher Landon Powell and to his defenders. Braden said that he “could go to sleep out there,” meaning that he had full trust in Powell to call the game, rarely shaking his catcher off.
It was the 19th perfect game in major league history. The last perfect
game — Mark Buehrle’s — was also against Tampa Bay.
That sound you hear is all of the Yankees beat writers running over to A-Rod’s locker in Boston, asking him what he thinks about Braden extending his 15 minutes of fame.
Seems to me he’s doin’ just fine on his own.
6:10 PM: Dallas Braden has a perfect game going against the Rays through the eighth inning.
One way to keep people off your mound? Don’t let ‘em on the bases.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)