Dallas Braden throws a perfect game!

May 9, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT

Dallas Braden 2.jpgUPDATE:  He did it!! 27-up, 27-down, six via strikeout. The game ended on a Gabe Kapler grounder to short.  Dallas Braden has thrown a perfect game! Guess that’s just how
they roll in the 209

They also roll modestly. During his postgame interview with the Comcast SportsNet California announcers, Braden gave credit to his catcher Landon Powell and to his defenders. Braden said that he “could go to sleep out there,” meaning that he had full trust in Powell to call the game, rarely shaking his catcher off.

It was the 19th perfect game in major league history. The last perfect
game — Mark Buehrle’s — was also against Tampa Bay.

That sound you hear is all of the Yankees beat writers running over to A-Rod’s locker in Boston, asking him what he thinks about Braden extending his 15 minutes of fame

Seems to me he’s doin’ just fine on his own.

6:10 PM: Dallas Braden has a perfect game going against the Rays through the eighth inning.

One way to keep people off your mound?  Don’t let ‘em on the bases.

1. SouthofHeaven - May 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Guess that’s what I get for calling him a palooka in that last post about him.
    Well done, sir.

2. Simon DelMonte - May 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I guess his fifteen minutes aren’t up yet.
    Ironically, he might have helped put the Yankees into first place.
    Captcha: thousand scoffed

3. Mann of Sandd - May 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I really hope A-Rod has something funny to say about this.

4. Mike - May 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The Rays need to figure out how to hit LHP. Most of their 9 losses have been against lefties. Kapler is horrible.

5. Braden - May 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Fuckin’ A, man.

6. Patrick - May 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Uh, damn? Only 19 in Major League history, yet two in the last two years… Wow.
    That’s incredible. I’m a touch sad it happened to someone who seems so… testy… but that’s just sour grapes.
    Congratulations Dallas Braden and the Oakland As. Woah.

7. Ron - May 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Dallas Braden now owns the mound and all the bases. He obviously has no respect for the Rays and the fact that they have been in the league for 13 years. Doesn’t he know that young players aren’t supposed to show up older franchises.

8. Kevin S. - May 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Good for him, now he’s got something other than A-Rod to talk about.
    Seriously, congratulations Dallas. You’ve acted like a tool in recent weeks, but this was something special.

9. Wendall - May 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I’m stunned , I’ve seen this guy pitch and he appeared to be nothing special. I guess he was special to the Rays. I still think the guys a jerk , but he could have put the Yankees in first place with his performance today . All the Yankees have to do is beat the mighty Red Sox .

10. Andrew - May 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Mike, they’ve lost 5 of 9 to lefties, so while you’re correct in saying they’ve lost “most” of their 9 games to southpaws, they actually have a winning record against them this year and defeated 4 in a row on this road trip alone.

11. Andrew - May 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM

12. RichardInDallas - May 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Gabe Kapler also made the second out of the 9th in last year’s perfecto. And he is also a very good friend of 1310 the Ticket in Dallas (from his time with the Rangers). That’s twice in two weeks that bad things have happened to MLBers associated with the little Ticket. If I were a Big Leaguer, past or present, I might not want to have anything to do with them (like last week when Rusty Greer backed out of their charity baseball game)…

13. aceshigh - May 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Gabe Kapler?
    I had no idea Welcome Back Kotter played for the Rays.

14. Paulk - May 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Did anyone watch the bulk of this game? I’m curious if the umpires had an expanded strikezone the entire day. Or at least, what appeared to be an expanded strikezone…I only tuned in for the 8th and 9th innings via MLB network, and from what I could see, Braden seemed to be getting a lot of calls that were outside of the usually small strike zone that umps call nowadays (especially off the outside corner and up in the strikezone).
    Since I only saw the last innings of the game, I can only posit that maybe a)the camera view was distorting the perceived view of the strikezone in such a way that I wasn’t used to; b)the ump was calling a larger strikezone all day because it was a sunday “getaway” game and sometimes players and umps do little things to make these kinds of games go a little faster; c)this particular ump in general calls a larger strikezone; or d)as the perfect game got closer to completion, the ump started expanding the zone (consciously or subconsciously) to help Braden along.
    Just curious and not taking anything away from this amazing accomplishment by Braden. I was actually a little choked up watching him celebrate with his grandma. I liked his comment after hugging her outside the dugout: “Now let’s go eat!”

15. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Here’s the pitch f/x data for him, looks like the umps called a great game for him:
    Actually looks like the Rays starter, Shields, got some inside pitches that Braden didn’t get:

16. muddbutt - May 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Braden’s grandma can go EAD!

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2952)