May 9, 2010, 8:51 AM EDT
Big news for Twins fans. According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, catcher Joe Mauer will return to the starting lineup on Sunday as the designated hitter.
Mauer has missed over a week with a bruised left heel, but is apparently unfazed by swinging a bat and was able to serve as a pinch-hitter on Saturday night. It’s not known when he will return full-time behind the plate, and the Twins should be in no hurry to force the issue because 22-year-old Wilson Ramos is playing so well.
Mauer, 27, will return to a .341/.402/.494 batting line. He had 13 RBI and 10 extra-base hits in 84 at-bats before the injury and should have no trouble getting back on track. The Twins currently stand 20-11, good enough for first place in the American League Central standings by 2.5 games over the Tigers.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)