May 9, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
The Detroit Free Press is running an incredible three-part “final” interview this week with the late (and great) Ernie Harwell, who passed away on Tuesday at the age of 92. From the Free Press’ lead-in:
“Last fall, Free Press sports editor Gene Myers, photographer Mandi
Wright and picture editor Diane Weiss visited Ernie and Lulu Harwell at
their modest apartment in Fox Run Village, a retirement center in Novi.
Ernie had agreed to do a long interview, to be his last extensive
session with the local media.”
The first part is up on their website this morning. Part Two will run on Monday and Part Three on Tuesday. Harwell spent nearly his entire adult life around the game of baseball and has more anecdotes on America’s pastime than anyone could possibly take in all at once. The interviews are a must-read for any baseball fan, not just Tigers fans.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?