May 9, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
The Detroit Free Press is running an incredible three-part “final” interview this week with the late (and great) Ernie Harwell, who passed away on Tuesday at the age of 92. From the Free Press’ lead-in:
“Last fall, Free Press sports editor Gene Myers, photographer Mandi
Wright and picture editor Diane Weiss visited Ernie and Lulu Harwell at
their modest apartment in Fox Run Village, a retirement center in Novi.
Ernie had agreed to do a long interview, to be his last extensive
session with the local media.”
The first part is up on their website this morning. Part Two will run on Monday and Part Three on Tuesday. Harwell spent nearly his entire adult life around the game of baseball and has more anecdotes on America’s pastime than anyone could possibly take in all at once. The interviews are a must-read for any baseball fan, not just Tigers fans.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59