And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

May 10, 2010, 5:00 AM EDT

Braden perfect.jpgAthletics 4, Rays 0:  I wrote my real-time reaction last night when it happened, and touched on the A-Rod implications a bit later. With a night’s sleep on it, I’m thinking more cosmically about it.

HardballTalk’s Senior Commenter, Old Gator, sent me a book last week called The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. I’m not far enough into it to give you an overview, but there is a point early on when the main character describes a perfect game that just happened:

. . . think what a wonderful rare thing it is to do something, no matter how small a thing, with absolute unqualified utterly unsurpassable perfection! To do a thing so perfectly that, even if the damn world lasted forever, nobody could ever do it better, because you had done it as well as it could possibly be done . . . In a way, you know, it’s even sad somehow, because, well, it’s done, and all you can hope for after is to do it a second time.”

I read that mere hours before I caught the last few innings of Braden’s perfecto, and it really hit the spot right now.

Phillies 5, Braves 3: I’m not giving up on the Braves because in 25 years I have never given up on them and never will. But I will bail on individual games. I bailed on this one in the bottom of the first when Raul Ibanez flew out to shallow, shallow right with the bases loaded scoring Chase Utley from third and Melky Cabrera didn’t even make a throw. Which means either (a) Melky is a freaking moron who had no idea that there was someone on third; or (b) he doesn’t have enough confidence in his arm to throw someone out from what was basically deep second base.  Either way it’s pathetic, and it was too sunny a damn day in Ohio for me to get an ulcer watching that garbage. My son and I skipped stones at the pond near our house instead. He’s four and he has a better arm — and more confidence in it — than Melky Cabrera.

Cardinals 11, Pirates 4: Eleven runs and neither Albert Pujols nor Matt Holliday (who took the day off) drove one in. The difference between the 2009 and the 2010 Cardinals? Balance, baby.

Brewers 6, Diamondbacks 1: The Diamondbacks gave up three homers yesterday and have now given up 50 homers on the season, and that’s by far the most in baseball.

Mariners 8, Angels 1: Fire the hitting coach on Sunday morning, put up eight on the defending division champs on Sunday afternoon.  That worked so well that teams should fire their hitting coach every day!

Rangers 6, Royals 4: Royals manager Trey Hillman after the game: “If you had
told me we would be 10 games under .500 at this time, I never would have
believed it.” Me neither. I would have guessed they’d be 15 under, easy.

Twins 6, Orioles 0: Nick Blackburn pitched seven shutout innings but didn’t strike anyone out. And that’s the second time he did this year. Mauer was back for the first time in nine games and went 1 for 3 as the DH. Justin Morneau had the golden sombrero, which I imagine is much more fun when you win a game than when you lose.

Nationals 3, Marlins 2: Matt Capps got his 13th save. The night before the game he met my friend Megan at a charity ball. I was going to say that Megan was a wonderful inspiration for him, but she met Pudge Rodriguez at the same ball and he went 0 for 4.

Red Sox 9, Yankees 3: A.J. Burnett had faced the Orioles the last two times out, so maybe he just forgot how to pitch to people who know how to play this game. Nice way to salvage the series, but Boston still has a long road ahead of them if they want to make things interesting.

Blue Jays 9, White Sox 7: Ugly 9th for Bobby Jenks, with the big blast being Fred Lewis’ three-run blast which proved to be the game winner. After the game, Ozzie Guillen said he may look for alternatives at closer. In response, Jenks said that “doesn’t even make sense.” Bobby, have you met your manager? Half of what that dude says doesn’t make sense. This is news to you?

Giants 6, Mets 5: If you walk seven guys in less than four innings you need to look in the mirror. If you walk seven San Francisco Giants in less than four innings you need to look for a new job. Oliver Perez, ladies and gentlemen.

Reds 5, Cubs 3: From the game story: “Votto connected on Ryan Dempster’s first pitch after he was visited by manager Lou Piniella.” Unless Lou is laying heavy money on the opposition, I’m going to guess that Dempster didn’t do what Lou told him to.

Astros 4, Padres 3: Hunter Pence with a walkoff double in the 11th to
avoid the sweep at the hands of the Padres. With ten games
against the Giants and the Dodgers starting on Tuesday, San Diego’s travel schedule sounds like the lyrics from “California Love.” Pasadena, where you at?

Dodgers 2, Rockies 0: Ubaldo Jimenez has his ERA skyrocket from 0.87 to
0.93 on account of the sheer number of run he gave up yesterday. No,
that’s not a typo. He really just gave up one run. Thing is, Clayton
Kershaw gave up none in eight innings, allowing only two hits and
rendering last Tuesday’s massacre at the hands of the Brewers a distant
memory.

Indians 7, Tigers 4: Oh sure, wait until I’m way back down here in
Columbus to have nice weather. Youse fancypants, all a youse.

1. Moses Green - May 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Melky Cabrera’s nocturnal habits make him ill-suited to day games. I have it on reasonably good authority from a friend who is a Yankee fan that Melky rocks hard, and he was dragging Cano into the nightlife. The first time he told me this was in April 2008, when Cano opened with a .446 OPS for the first month. Then again in August that year, when the Yanks sent Melky down he told me that the partying was the real reason.
    I’ve heard this a number of other places and from a commenter here most recently, but my original source has a longstanding habit of knowing things about the Yanks ahead of time, and he never gives up anything about his source.

2. Route36West - May 10, 2010 at 7:38 AM

“To do a thing so perfectly that, even if the damn world lasted forever, nobody could ever do it better, because you had done it as well as it could possibly be done”
    Thats not true. You could throw 27 stikeouts with no hits and no walks.
    Or atleast throw a perfect game and strikeout 1 more batter then Braden. I think that would constitute as doing it better.

3. Doug Porterfield - May 10, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Good book. Old book. Please give us a review when you are done.

4. Moses Green - May 10, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Ridiculous comment – crazy even. Do strikeouts count for more outs than groundouts? How about flyball outs?
    Boooo Route36West

5. enough already - May 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I’m waiting for A-rod’s grandma to challenge Braden’s grandma to fisticuffs behind the bleachers. Now that would be worth the price of admission. Nothing is settled till the grandmas have their say.

6. Route36West - May 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Booo to anyone who cant understand sarcasm

7. crotch_jenkins - May 10, 2010 at 8:14 AM

There are a lot of stories about Melky’s nighttime shenanigans floating around NY. Occasionally they’re supported by photographic evidence, which always features the Melkman with either ugly white women or burly Latino men. I am not sure what conclusion to draw from this.

8. Route36West - May 10, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I was just messing around when I said this but because you didnt understand that I guess Ill defend it.
    “Do strikeouts count for more outs than groundouts? How about flyball outs?
    Do you also critique homeruns for not flying far enough over the fence for your liking?”
    No they dont count more but you could say the samething about a perfect game. Pitching a perfect game doesnt count more then say giving up 5 runs and still getting the win. Your logic is an out is an out and a hr is a hr. So shouldnt you be saying a win is a win too?
    A perfect game doesnt count anymore then any regular win. The reason why it is important and exciting because it is so rare. So if the next person who throws a perfect game strikes out say 15 batters wouldnt make it that much rarer and exciting?
    I wasnt critiqueing or taking anything away from Bradens perfect game I was rooting for him the entire time he did it. What I said had nothing to do with Braden I was only using his game as an example that that qoute is wrong because yes some home runs are more impressive then others just like some perfect games are more impressive then others.
    The arguement isnt if it would count more because if it was no one would even talk about perfect games they would just say its another win. The arguement is could it more impressive and my point is yes it could be.

9. YankeesfanLen - May 10, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Can’t help but be happy about last week.6-1 works for me and we have (one of) AJ’s implosions out of the way. Hope some of the injuries as well (except Granderson and Johnson) cause there’s still 14 days in a row vs. some formidable competitors. Next weekend’s Twins series will see if we can still get around the M&M boys.
    Melky’s leaving did more for Cano’s performance than anything else this year. Old retail maxim: “If you have one stockboy, you have one worker, if you have two stockboys you have no workers”.
    Captcha: spookier 292, -Next perfect game pitcher will come from area code thatDOESN’T EXIST! (Probably be named Rod Sterling)

10. The Common Man - May 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hooray for J. Henry Waugh. I loved that book, so trippy and sad and perfectly encapsulating how easily our game can take over your life. Enjoy, Craig.
    reCaptcha: sufficiently Mandy (I like that, she’s just Mandy enough. Not too much Mandy. Not too little.)

11. Old Gator - May 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get over here. I was up to my ass in alligator hunters over on another thread. Lesson: if you’re gonna wade in the Glades, watch out where the hell you step.
    Glad Craig is already steeped in synchronicity between Braden’s game, the strange life of J. Henry Waugh (which will resemble Craig’s life more and more as he forges ahead through it). and the Wikipedia article which begins with the perfect game that opens the novel. I know it has occurred to Craig that, given all my inside knowledge of Santeria and Vodoun and other occult matters, that this is all just too much to be merely coincidental. Heh, let him finish the book, and then I’m going to send him a Ouija Scrabble board.
    All that notwithstanding, Braden’s perfecto may have distracted from another potentially momentous event: Chris Coghlan went 3-for-4 in a puppyshit 3-2 loss to Those Pesky Gnats. Burke Badenhop chalks up another L for the boolpen, which one might think of as Scrooge McLoria’s Konsignment Korner. Anyway, last year’s surprise Rookie of the Year is now looking down at the Mendoza Line for the first time in about a month. Truth is he’s been swinging with more authority lately anyway and just seems to have had to clear that pesky zone of turbulence that always seems to intercede between a slump and the resurrection. You know, when after weeks of flailing like a tightrope walker who’s just fallen off his wire, a hitter starts smoking balls right at the infielders and the outfielders make one impossible diving or over-the-head catch after another on their sinking liners. Coghlan looks like he’s gonna be alright. Wish I could say the same for the boolpen.
    The Feesh head to Wrigley today for a date with that mysterious Indonesian brain disease die vloek van der geitbok. Hope they’re wearing their gauze masks, though how effection those are against a prion I’m not sure.

12. Jonny5 - May 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

And not even a mention of Jamie Moyer becoming the oldest man to pitch a complete shutout???? It couldn’t have anything to do with the recipient of the shutout could it?

13. Craig Calcaterra - May 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

No, it has to do with the fact that it happened on Friday and this post recaps Sunday’s games.

14. Jonny5 - May 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Man there are three or more threads about the whipper snapper who got two less hits than Jamie did friday, and he isn’t 47 either. What a letdown. No Love for the old man here on HBT I see.

15. Jonny5 - May 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM

My bad! ;>p http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/jamie-moyer-becomes-oldest-pitcher-to-throw-a-shutout.html.php

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3417)