Billy Beane almost missed Braden's perfect game

May 10, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT

Billy Beane headshot.jpgI didn’t know that Dallas Braden had a perfect game going until the
eighth inning when I checked Twitter and saw everyone yammering about
it. But hey, I was busy with family stuff and was monitoring a bunch of
games yesterday afternoon, so I can be excused for only seeing the eighth and ninth innings. If I worked for the Athletics, of course, I’d have seen the whole thing.

Or, maybe I wouldn’t have. Billy Beane is the team’s GM and is a minority owner, so you’d figure that he’d see it all. You’d figure wrong, however, because he almost missed it.

Usually general managers watch games from the team box, but anyone who read Moneyball knows, Athletics’ GM Billy Beane works out during the game, sometimes not even watching it. Ken Rosenthal reports that was basically the case yesterday, as Beane had the raw feed of the game on with no sound and no stats graphics as he listened to a soccer game on his iPod and ran on a treadmill. It wasn’t until the ninth inning that he knew — after asking the guy on the treadmill next to him — that Braden had a perfect game.

Not that he was alone in not paying much attention.  Only 12,228 fans were in the seats at the Coliseum for the perfecto. Though if form holds for these kinds of things, a good 50-60,000 people will tell their friends they were there.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - May 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Beane was in his basement, eating pudding. (like all stats guys do, according to Shaughnessy)

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Loved your post on his ridiculous column. And I think I’m going to stick that picture up as my wallpaper here at work.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - May 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Thx CotPO. It’s a great picture.

4. GimmeSomeSteel - May 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Typical stat-head, thinks the key to success is all in the numbers and to heck whether someone can actually play. If I were an Oakland player, I’d be upset to know my GM doesn’t care enough to watch the team he’s assembled.
    News flash to Brainy Billy–There are other times when you can work out.

5. Steve A - May 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Maybe the A’s can sell tickets to yesterday’s game like the White Sox did last year after Buerhle’s perfecto. Give those lies of being there some legitimacy.

6. APBA Guy - May 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM

The reason Billy works out during games is that he gets too wound up watching the games. He’s an ultra-competitive guy. The players don’t care one way or the other. And recently the organization has recommitted to scouting. They never really abandoned it, but they admit the equilibrium had swung too far. They rehired Grady Fuson, who had been director of scouting during the Moneyball period, and with whom Billy had had significant disagreements on prospect value.

7. RichardInDallas - May 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM

My guess is there WILL be a much fuller house next time Braded occupies the Bump in the Dump. He ought to get a cut of every ticket sold for his next turn at home from right after the last Kapler AB yesterday till game time of his next turn. Bet he could double his MLB minimum salary!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4940)