May 10, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Now that the Cubs’ starters are struggling as much as their relievers Lou Piniella was asked yesterday whether he’s considered moving Carlos Zambrano back into the rotation:
No, right now we need Carlos right where he’s at. We asked Carlos to do something that would help this team, and it’s helped this team. If you don’t hold onto leads late in the game, it has a lasting effect on the team.
Which is funny, because a) if you don’t have any late leads to protect that also has a lasting effect on the team, and b) Zambrano hasn’t exactly pitched brilliantly out of the bullpen. Zambrano has allowed three runs in six innings as a reliever, with opponents batting .346 against him. He’s also allowed three of his six inherited runners score, which while not reflected in ERA is certainly a big part of relief value.
He’s been decent as a reliever so far, but no one moves a pitcher making $18 million to the bullpen just so he can be decent and Zambrano has thrown just six innings in a 17-day stretch when he would have started three times. All of which is why it was silly to take a perfectly good starting pitcher capable of logging 200-plus innings and move him into a 70-inning role.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)