Comment of the Day: Sleeping Junior

May 10, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

Flying Ken Griffey.jpgAfter over a year of working on this blog I thought I have pretty much figured out what to expect when it comes to certain subjects. Yankees-Red Sox stuff? Oh, so predictable.  Steroids threads? I can chart out how the comments are going to go with those like I was Hari Seldon with a TI-84 calculator.  The Phillies fan insecurity-fests are a much newer phenomenon, but I’m even starting to grok those pretty well too.

But I gotta tell ya, I’ve been rather surprised at how the comments in the Ken Griffey Jr. thread are going so far today.  If you would have asked me how I thought it would have gone before I posted it, I would have figured that about 95% of the comments would be of the “he needs to hang it up and give his job to someone who cares” variety, with a smattering of “he was so good once, sad to see him go” offerings.

Imagine my surprise when I was met with a great number of comments wondering if he had a thyroid problem or some other medical condition or otherwise trying to rationalize or explain away the fact that he was snoozing during a ballgame.  What happened to all of the “he’s paid top play a kids game!” comments?  Where is all the outrage we typically see when A-Rod does something less than godly?  Man, if A-Rod had fallen asleep in the clubhouse he’d probably need to be under police protection right now.

All of which brings us to our comment of the day.  It was really the most baffling — and hilarious — comment I’ve seen in some time.  Does it attack Griffey? No. Does it defend him? Not really.  Instead, it goes after the anonymous players who told the reporter about the incident itself:

The entire generation born after 1980 are just a bunch of rat fink
ba—–s. I work kids that age….so i know…snitches.

Look, on some level I understand that being a generally likable guy for the past 20 years has bought Junior a lot more leeway than your average ballplayer, but I figured that at some point — and that point being simply unprepared to play the game of baseball on a given day — likability wouldn’t matter and people would at least go through the motions of tut-tutting Griffey over this.  Guess not.

And with that I’m getting out of the comment thread prediction business. Because you guys are way more unpredictable than I had given you credit for.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Is the commentor:
    A. Drug dealer
    B. HS teacher/pedophile
    C. Resident of the 209
    D. C’mon Man (AKA more flags more fun, et. al.)
    E. All of the above.
    You report, I’ve already decided
    Captcha: From humanoids- come people who don’t know the secret handshake

2. Mike G. - May 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. Junior falling asleep in the clubhouse certainly isn’t a capital crime, but people running to his defense are pretty silly.

3. Xpensive Wino - May 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Credibility plays a part in what someone’s initial reaction is to these types of stories. For someone who has carried himself the way he has for over 20 years, my initial reaction after reading the story was he must have been sick.
    I think the bigger story is why the GM of the Mariners thought Griffey could help them win baseball games. Every moron on the face of the earth playing fantasy baseball knew Griffey was done and had stuck a fork in him. Why didn’t the GM of an MLB team know that?
    If it was for PR, then give him a job in the organization shaking hands, kissing babies and posing for photos, but not one which requires hitting and driving in runs. He can’t do that anymore.

4. Michael - May 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Dude, Junior was clearly channeling 1995 – that’s what Norm “Norm” Charlton would do until about the 7th inning. Now if Griffey had walked out into the dugout afterward holding a cup of coffee, that would have been sweet.

5. Lee - May 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM

After over a year of reading this blog I thought I had pretty much figured out what to expect when it comes to Craig’s interests and likes/dislikes: Braves; baseball; Old Gator; controversial yet commonsense positions to sensitive subjects; life in the great midwest.
    But then you go and drop an Asimov/Foundation reference which blows my mind.
    And with that I’m getting out of the Calcaterra prediction business. Because you are way more unpredictable than I had given you credit for.

6. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I was born well before the “rat fink” generation, but to that guy berating the anonymous tipsters, I say, “go suck on a lemon.”
    We have “If you see something, say something” signs in subway stations these days. Who the hell are you to cover up transgressions?

7. Old Gator - May 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Let Ken Griffey Jr. sleep, for when he awakens the world will tremble….

8. J. McCann - May 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I have a thyroid condition and that does knock the crap out of you if you don’t take the right pills enough.
    But old people need naps dude.

9. evilempire2010 - May 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Bradens grandma is a huge douche, like her grandson.
    happy mother day’s

10. Twister - May 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Using Hari Seldon in an analogy for predictions should earn you an award of some kind. And I’m only kinda kidding. Well done sir, well done.
    Just noticed Captcha “probability specifier”. Are you kidding me? I think it’s time to have a drink.

11. Xpensive Wino - May 10, 2010 at 6:57 PM

On a related note: Keith Hernandez is just a douche……

12. Alan - May 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Hey evilempire2010,
    I’m a Yankee fan and your an asshole for posting this rubbish. No true Yankee fan would do what you have now done! Don’t you know when to shut your pie hole? How stupid can you really be? Your the douche, the guy just posted a perfect game and deserves the accolades. Why are you so STUPID?

13. KR - May 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I seem to remember Craig dropping an Asimov reference before; even if not, I wasn’t overly surprised. (It’s still awesome though.)

14. Old Gator - May 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I think it’s fair to say that he doesn’t learn from others’ mistakes.
    KR: a Vonnegut reference. The post in question, though I can’t recall exactly which one it was, quickly degenerated into a sub rosa verbal badminton match with obscure science fiction references flying around like winged ants around Joba Chamberlain. Phillies fan “Mark My Words” John chimed in with additional Vonnegut and Douglas Adams references, and I countered with Asimov, Toho kaiju eiga and William Gibson. In a way, this has been going on ever since, albeit sporadically – but I suspect that’s because the season started in earnest and we were distracted from our little artifices by the serious business at hand. The references will flicker a bit until early November, at which time they’ll begin again in dense patterns. Stick around. We’re still looking for a Bucky person – (-aroo Banzai or Fuller, take your pick). It’s an open door policy, but I have to confess that I’m not an inhabitant of the Whedonverse – that musical Buffy finished me off but good.

15. The Rabbit - May 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I missed the Buffy musical. It wouldn’t have been my taste. However, I am an inhabitant of Whedonverse and Adamsverse. Didn’t know you were looking for one.

16. Simon DelMonte - May 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hari Seldon…wow.

17. Soup Sandwich - May 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Griffey is a “benefit-of-the-doubt” guy. He’s earned it. It’s kind of like the story about Al Kaline hitting and the pitcher splits the strike zone and it’s called a ball. When the catcher complained, the umpire said, “Mr. Kaline will let you know it’s a strike by doubling off the wall.”
    BTW…there was nobody in the entire Mariner organization would could have, you know, awakened him?
    Sleep well, Sweet Prince.

18. Charles Gates - May 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I’ve been scared to post ’round these parts recently. I’ve been up evenings reading both The Catcher In The Rye and Blood Meridian. I’m scared what my writing style might turn out like after another crumby scotch and soda. It might turn out all crumby and bring upon me a torrid front of verbose storms like those from the west, during the calm nights of summer right after all is quiet until the windows clamor echoing my barking dogs as if they were under the fury of Aeolus and time stops, if only for an instant, before the rain pitter patters upon me reminiscent of the unasyllable insults spitballed from the masses en masse and without regard for grammer, spelling and diction while recaptcha demonstrates omnipresence with pseudo insightful spam blocking phrases and all is well while the water washes away the sin of the day and rejuvenates my belief in those around me sharing a passion for baseball, irregardless of their ability to intelligently describe it or not. If you must know, I’m quite a fan of baseball.

19. Judi - May 10, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Good Lord, some of you people are pretentious.

20. Brian - May 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM

That’s a sweet old picture of Junior, making a diving catch in Fenway, way back when he played a mean center.

21. Nico Ocho - May 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM

“teletype directions”
    *Must… post… something… positive… about Junior.*

22. MVD - May 11, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Like no one ever fell asleep at work before.
    I mean, didnt some full-time blogger here once blog on this site from his or her then-current job? Sure, its not sleeping, but its in the same ballpark…
    But, you know, then again, I’m not like, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, so…

23. Moses Green - May 11, 2010 at 4:44 AM

I thought this was funny. June 20, 2009 story, Griffey comes off the bench in the ninth inning and hits a pinch-hit 2-R HR as part of a four run comeback against the D’Backs. Someone in the press-room noticed that Griffey wasn’t in the dugout before getting called on to hit, and asked him about it.
    “I was sleeping up in the clubhouse,” he deadpanned. “I was in the dugout, where do you think?” http://www.thenewstribune.com/2009/06/20/784924/griffey-goes-deep-when-ms-need.html
    So I guess … sleeping before pinch-hit HR = good; sleeping before not getting called on to hit because you can’t hit anymore = bad.
    He’s been doing this for years, these kids just haven’t been around and didn’t understand that’s Jr.’s M.O. Wakamatsu let him stay asleep because he had better options awake, but the kids just assumed he wasn’t tabbed because of the sleep. Common logical error – when two events happen contemporaneously us chimps assume causality. Ook ook.
    I say we all just have a group hug, forgive and forget, and blame the media. It’s a convenient tag now that he’s finished and nothing more. I’d be willing to bet the reporter knew last year and sat on it until it was obvious Jr. was done, then goaded the gullible rookies into ‘spilling the beans’. And if we can’t all get behind that, blame Canada.

24. Moses Green - May 11, 2010 at 5:47 AM

… and as the air slowly hissed out of multiple hot air balloons struck by the same bullet from a miraculous trick-shot, Judi Oakley blew the smoke off the tip of her Lady Smith & Wesson. And smiled.

25. Megary - May 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Now Moses, you really oughtn’t have made me choke on my morning banana…peeled, of course, with the use of opposable thumb.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3846)