Dallas Braden's postgame press conference

May 10, 2010, 10:17 AM EST

Here are some of Dallas Braden’s comments after yesterday’s perfecto.

I like the part where he says that he’d like to have some of the same career accomplishments as the other 18 men who threw perfect games. The way I see it the only thing he’s got to do to top Len Barker is to convince Ted Turner to trade too much for him, because Braden is already a better pitcher.

Mike Witt may be the next one on the list for Braden, but it’ll take him a while to get to even his level. Indeed, unlike mere no-hitters which sometimes do just happen rather freakishly (Bud Smith? Jose Jimenez? Eric Milton?), just about everyone who has thrown a perfect game was pretty studly in his own particular way.*

*Note: this is the first time in recorded history that the words “studly” was used to refer to a group of men which included David Wells.

1. Anon - May 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Eric Milton threw his no-hitter in a September game against the Angels who, at that point, were fielding a mainly AAA lineup.

2. BC - May 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Wasn’t there a guy named David Palmer who threw a perfect game for Montreal? I think… early 90’s maybe late 80’s? Can’t find anything on Google. Either I’m missing the boat, or I simply was in a college-age alcoholilc fog at the time….

3. Moses Green - May 10, 2010 at 11:47 AM

David Palmer existed, pitched for the Expos, and threw a bullshit 5-inning no-hitter in the second game of a doubleheader at St. Louis in 1984.
    You’re on the boat, but you’re queasy and wishing you had dramamine.

4. Jonny5 - May 10, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Yeah but…… http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/jamie-moyer-becomes-oldest-pitcher-to-throw-a-shutout.html.php
    Now that’s something.

5. BC - May 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Actually… I was closer to correct than I thought. It was a five-inning perfect game, not a no-hitter. God I love wikipedia. Hey, the guy actually had a winning record for his career.
    PS. Dramamine is for wimps. Go for the gusto – Nardil, baby.

6. Moses Green - May 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM

There is no such thing as a 5-inning perfect game or a 5-inning no-hitter. Even the unlucky sod who pitches 8 no-hit innings on the road while losing 1-0 doesn’t get credit for a no-hitter since he doesn’t come out to finish the 9th.
    But congratulations for remembering that it happened at all, and who did it. I had whole months of college that are just pure blackout.
    Mmmm… Nardil.