May 10, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
Here are some of Dallas Braden’s comments after yesterday’s perfecto.
I like the part where he says that he’d like to have some of the same career accomplishments as the other 18 men who threw perfect games. The way I see it the only thing he’s got to do to top Len Barker is to convince Ted Turner to trade too much for him, because Braden is already a better pitcher.
Mike Witt may be the next one on the list for Braden, but it’ll take him a while to get to even his level. Indeed, unlike mere no-hitters which sometimes do just happen rather freakishly (Bud Smith? Jose Jimenez? Eric Milton?), just about everyone who has thrown a perfect game was pretty studly in his own particular way.*
*Note: this is the first time in recorded history that the words “studly” was used to refer to a group of men which included David Wells.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)