May 10, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
Here are some of Dallas Braden’s comments after yesterday’s perfecto.
I like the part where he says that he’d like to have some of the same career accomplishments as the other 18 men who threw perfect games. The way I see it the only thing he’s got to do to top Len Barker is to convince Ted Turner to trade too much for him, because Braden is already a better pitcher.
Mike Witt may be the next one on the list for Braden, but it’ll take him a while to get to even his level. Indeed, unlike mere no-hitters which sometimes do just happen rather freakishly (Bud Smith? Jose Jimenez? Eric Milton?), just about everyone who has thrown a perfect game was pretty studly in his own particular way.*
*Note: this is the first time in recorded history that the words “studly” was used to refer to a group of men which included David Wells.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)