May 10, 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
Here are some of Dallas Braden’s comments after yesterday’s perfecto.
I like the part where he says that he’d like to have some of the same career accomplishments as the other 18 men who threw perfect games. The way I see it the only thing he’s got to do to top Len Barker is to convince Ted Turner to trade too much for him, because Braden is already a better pitcher.
Mike Witt may be the next one on the list for Braden, but it’ll take him a while to get to even his level. Indeed, unlike mere no-hitters which sometimes do just happen rather freakishly (Bud Smith? Jose Jimenez? Eric Milton?), just about everyone who has thrown a perfect game was pretty studly in his own particular way.*
*Note: this is the first time in recorded history that the words “studly” was used to refer to a group of men which included David Wells.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 2
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 14
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8