David Wright blows up

May 10, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT

David Wright angry.jpgDavid Wright gets some garbage about not being a firey team leader from time to time. He’s working on the firey, though. Just check out his reaction to his called strike three in the ninth inning of yesterday’s Mets-Giants game.

I’m pretty sure at one point that Wright told the umpire to “get the funk out.” Either that means my hearing is a bit wonky or else the umpire just isn’t into dancing.

For what it’s worth, Wright was right about the call. But when you’re in the ninth inning of a getaway day game which featured 16 walks and all kinds of sloppy play, it’s hard to knock the ump for wanting to get the heck out of there and on to the airport.

1. Joe L - May 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I hate that this kind of stuff merits an automatic ejection these days. Nothing wrong with a little argy-bargy now and again. Although I am disappointed he did not turn his hat around to get closer to the ump’s face.

2. Jeff J. Snider - May 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM

For the record, the word is “fiery,” not “firey.”

3. YankeesfanLen - May 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Since the game wasn’t on til 8 last night, I had to watch part of this catastrophre. Since I don’t know from actual experience are all NL games this much of a fielding train wreck? Finally figured out that replay of Game 6 ALCS was on YES.
    My take: Frenchie has his own unique way of wearing the pink wristbands.

4. Jonny5 - May 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Well it was close. I’d rather see strikes called when you watch one flirt the edge like that than see balls called on pitches that clearly cross a corner of the plate. This season seems like the worst for tight strike zones so far and I’ve seen many that seemed very much over the plate called as balls. I guess the networks want to see more of the longball. It’s good to know MLB would never compromise for the networks isn’t it??? They turned their heads on steroids for the love of the long ball. Why not stress a tighter strike zone for the love of it too? At least that’s legal and all.

5. BC - May 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Nice to see SOMEONE on my Mets show a little fire. Although the pitch looked like a strike or was very close. Nothing to go Vesuvius over….
    Captcha: by slump. This thing has ESP I tell you.

6. Moses Green - May 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Roid rage. At least the HR’s are back though.

7. enough already - May 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM

The sloppy play was on the part of the giants (who you’d think could play in windy conditions) and you can’t blame Wright for Oliver Perez stinking either. He had a legit gripe. I’m pretty sure the umps are getting paid to be there for all nine.

8. Dan in Katonah - May 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM

And the big story that wasn’t – Jerry “the Genius” Manuel had already used every single position player in the game at that point, so if the runner on second scored, a pitcher would have had to play the field the rest of the game. As Manuel detracter, I was hoping for that as much as a game winning homer since I think the team’s recent success may stave off his termination.

9. Wendy - May 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Wright was beyond PO’d, for him to curse like that was unbelievable, he thought it was ball 4, it was inside but probably a little too close to take, but it was good to see Wright not going down without a fight.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3382)