May 10, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Huston Street will kick off a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa on Thursday, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
It’s been a long time coming for Street, who has been sidelined since the beginning of spring training due to right shoulder stiffness. He’s scheduled to throw one inning on Thursday and Saturday before ramping it up to two innings next Tuesday. From there, he’s penciled in to make back-to-back appearances with Triple-A Colorado Springs next Friday and Saturday before being reevaluated. Barring any setbacks, he could return to the Rockies within two weeks.
“My arm feels better than at anytime in spring. In hindsight, just
playing catch now compared to then isn’t even comparable,” Street said.
“I am not going to count my chickens until they hatch. But I am looking
forward to getting back here soon.”
Franklin Morales was the early choice for save opportunities in Street’s absence, but his inability to throw strikes (eight walks over 11 1/3 innings) has thrust Manny Corpas back into the role. Needless to say, Rockies manager Jim Tracy will be happy to have Street back. Street posted a 3.06 ERA and 0.91 WHIP over 64 appearances in his first season with the Rockies last season, notching 35 saves in 37 chances.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)