May 10, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Huston Street will kick off a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa on Thursday, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
It’s been a long time coming for Street, who has been sidelined since the beginning of spring training due to right shoulder stiffness. He’s scheduled to throw one inning on Thursday and Saturday before ramping it up to two innings next Tuesday. From there, he’s penciled in to make back-to-back appearances with Triple-A Colorado Springs next Friday and Saturday before being reevaluated. Barring any setbacks, he could return to the Rockies within two weeks.
“My arm feels better than at anytime in spring. In hindsight, just
playing catch now compared to then isn’t even comparable,” Street said.
“I am not going to count my chickens until they hatch. But I am looking
forward to getting back here soon.”
Franklin Morales was the early choice for save opportunities in Street’s absence, but his inability to throw strikes (eight walks over 11 1/3 innings) has thrust Manny Corpas back into the role. Needless to say, Rockies manager Jim Tracy will be happy to have Street back. Street posted a 3.06 ERA and 0.91 WHIP over 64 appearances in his first season with the Rockies last season, notching 35 saves in 37 chances.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights