May 10, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Huston Street will kick off a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa on Thursday, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
It’s been a long time coming for Street, who has been sidelined since the beginning of spring training due to right shoulder stiffness. He’s scheduled to throw one inning on Thursday and Saturday before ramping it up to two innings next Tuesday. From there, he’s penciled in to make back-to-back appearances with Triple-A Colorado Springs next Friday and Saturday before being reevaluated. Barring any setbacks, he could return to the Rockies within two weeks.
“My arm feels better than at anytime in spring. In hindsight, just
playing catch now compared to then isn’t even comparable,” Street said.
“I am not going to count my chickens until they hatch. But I am looking
forward to getting back here soon.”
Franklin Morales was the early choice for save opportunities in Street’s absence, but his inability to throw strikes (eight walks over 11 1/3 innings) has thrust Manny Corpas back into the role. Needless to say, Rockies manager Jim Tracy will be happy to have Street back. Street posted a 3.06 ERA and 0.91 WHIP over 64 appearances in his first season with the Rockies last season, notching 35 saves in 37 chances.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)