May 10, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Huston Street will kick off a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Tulsa on Thursday, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
It’s been a long time coming for Street, who has been sidelined since the beginning of spring training due to right shoulder stiffness. He’s scheduled to throw one inning on Thursday and Saturday before ramping it up to two innings next Tuesday. From there, he’s penciled in to make back-to-back appearances with Triple-A Colorado Springs next Friday and Saturday before being reevaluated. Barring any setbacks, he could return to the Rockies within two weeks.
“My arm feels better than at anytime in spring. In hindsight, just
playing catch now compared to then isn’t even comparable,” Street said.
“I am not going to count my chickens until they hatch. But I am looking
forward to getting back here soon.”
Franklin Morales was the early choice for save opportunities in Street’s absence, but his inability to throw strikes (eight walks over 11 1/3 innings) has thrust Manny Corpas back into the role. Needless to say, Rockies manager Jim Tracy will be happy to have Street back. Street posted a 3.06 ERA and 0.91 WHIP over 64 appearances in his first season with the Rockies last season, notching 35 saves in 37 chances.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)