May 10, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki underwent an MRI Monday for a strained right quad suffered in Sunday’s game against the Dodgers.
Tulowitzki has indicated that the current injury isn’t not nearly as serious as the one that cost him two months in 2008. He was scheduled to be reexamined this afternoon before a decision was made whether to place him on the DL.
The Rockies’ current plan is to send down Eric Young Jr. to make room for Brad Hawpe, who is returning from a strained quad of his own this evening, but that would leave the Rockies dangerously short-handed in the afternoon if Tulo needs a few days off. Starting second baseman Clint Barmes is the backup at short. As is, the Rockies have two options at second base in Young and Melvin Mora. However, sending down Young would leave them without a backup infielder for the duration of Tulo’s absence.
If Tulo lands on the DL, then Young would have more time to establish himself at second base. He’s hit .276/.382/.379 with four steals in 29 at-bats since replacing Hawpe a couple of weeks ago. Barmes is the clearly superior defender at the position, but he’s hit just .222/.284/.358 this year.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)