May 10, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
Troy Tulowitzki underwent an MRI Monday for a strained right quad suffered in Sunday’s game against the Dodgers.
Tulowitzki has indicated that the current injury isn’t not nearly as serious as the one that cost him two months in 2008. He was scheduled to be reexamined this afternoon before a decision was made whether to place him on the DL.
The Rockies’ current plan is to send down Eric Young Jr. to make room for Brad Hawpe, who is returning from a strained quad of his own this evening, but that would leave the Rockies dangerously short-handed in the afternoon if Tulo needs a few days off. Starting second baseman Clint Barmes is the backup at short. As is, the Rockies have two options at second base in Young and Melvin Mora. However, sending down Young would leave them without a backup infielder for the duration of Tulo’s absence.
If Tulo lands on the DL, then Young would have more time to establish himself at second base. He’s hit .276/.382/.379 with four steals in 29 at-bats since replacing Hawpe a couple of weeks ago. Barmes is the clearly superior defender at the position, but he’s hit just .222/.284/.358 this year.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 19
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 92
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)