May 10, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki underwent an MRI Monday for a strained right quad suffered in Sunday’s game against the Dodgers.
Tulowitzki has indicated that the current injury isn’t not nearly as serious as the one that cost him two months in 2008. He was scheduled to be reexamined this afternoon before a decision was made whether to place him on the DL.
The Rockies’ current plan is to send down Eric Young Jr. to make room for Brad Hawpe, who is returning from a strained quad of his own this evening, but that would leave the Rockies dangerously short-handed in the afternoon if Tulo needs a few days off. Starting second baseman Clint Barmes is the backup at short. As is, the Rockies have two options at second base in Young and Melvin Mora. However, sending down Young would leave them without a backup infielder for the duration of Tulo’s absence.
If Tulo lands on the DL, then Young would have more time to establish himself at second base. He’s hit .276/.382/.379 with four steals in 29 at-bats since replacing Hawpe a couple of weeks ago. Barmes is the clearly superior defender at the position, but he’s hit just .222/.284/.358 this year.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)