May 10, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki underwent an MRI Monday for a strained right quad suffered in Sunday’s game against the Dodgers.
Tulowitzki has indicated that the current injury isn’t not nearly as serious as the one that cost him two months in 2008. He was scheduled to be reexamined this afternoon before a decision was made whether to place him on the DL.
The Rockies’ current plan is to send down Eric Young Jr. to make room for Brad Hawpe, who is returning from a strained quad of his own this evening, but that would leave the Rockies dangerously short-handed in the afternoon if Tulo needs a few days off. Starting second baseman Clint Barmes is the backup at short. As is, the Rockies have two options at second base in Young and Melvin Mora. However, sending down Young would leave them without a backup infielder for the duration of Tulo’s absence.
If Tulo lands on the DL, then Young would have more time to establish himself at second base. He’s hit .276/.382/.379 with four steals in 29 at-bats since replacing Hawpe a couple of weeks ago. Barmes is the clearly superior defender at the position, but he’s hit just .222/.284/.358 this year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)