May 11, 2010, 11:42 AM EST
Brad Lidge moved back into the closer role Sunday and picked up his first save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning, but was unavailable last night because of soreness in his surgically repaired elbow.
Jose Contreras was warming up to attempt a one-run save in Lidge’s place before Ross Gload’s ninth-inning homer extended the lead to four runs and afterward Lidge explained that his elbow “didn’t feel great” while playing catch before the game.
I’m not worried. It’s some of the things hopefully we won’t have to deal with for very long. Out of surgery, here and there, there might be something like that. I guess it’s pretty normal. That’s what they told me. Hopefully I’ll be ready to go tomorrow.
Ryan Madson is out for two months following toe surgery, so the Phillies can’t rely on their usual fill-in closer should Lidge need extended time off and will be leaning on Contreras, J.C. Romero, Danys Baez, and Chad Durbin to get key outs late in games.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)