May 11, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner knows the Seattle Mariners better than anyone, and last night he completely nailed the whole Griffey sleeping in the clubhouse thing. It’s not the nap per se; it’s what it represents:
. . . the fact that two teammates would talk to a reporter about Junior being
asleep during a game is perhaps the more telling aspect of this story.
If Griffey really commanded the respect of the entire clubhouse, and
they loved having him around, no one talks about this to a member of the
media. But they did, and that they were willing to bring this up to
someone who they had to suspect would write about it suggests that
perhaps Griffey’s influence in the clubhouse either isn’t as great as
some would suggest, or perhaps more likely, that it only matters while a
player is producing.
The kicker: no one bothered to wake Griffey up. Cameron: “My guess is that most of them probably didn’t want him hitting in that
situation anyway, so maybe deep down, they feel like he did them a
My response to this story yesterday was that you need to cut Griffey or urge him to retire because you simply can’t be a Major League ballplayer and sleep on the job. Based on the comments to that post it’s quite obvious that many disagree with that sentiment and think that Griffey has earned the benefit of the doubt. Fair enough.
But he’s not getting the benefit of the doubt from his teammates. They’re totally fine with him sleeping on the job because it keeps him out of the batter’s box. And that’s far more damning for Griffey than the mere fact that he was snoozing during a ballgame.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 62
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)