Josh Beckett injures back taking batting practice

May 11, 2010, 8:16 AM EDT

Yesterday afternoon the Red Sox announced that they were pushing Josh Beckett’s next start back from Wednesday versus the Blue Jays to Friday versus the Tigers, which also put him in line to miss the Yankees next week after giving up nine runs against them in his last outing.
At the time the move was not made because of an injury, but then just a few hours later Beckett strained his back while preparing for interleague play by taking batting practice in an indoor batting cage. He’ll undergo tests today to determine his status and in the meantime Tim Wakefield will slide back into the rotation Wednesday.
Beckett’s pushed-back start is now up in the air, although some extra time off may not be so bad given his 7.46 ERA and need to “refine his delivery” with pitching coach John Farrell. His peripheral numbers aren’t nearly as awful as his ERA, so assuming the back issues aren’t serious he’s a good bet to get on track.

1. Megary - May 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I wonder if Hank Steinbrenner will come to Boston’s defense and suggest that the NL needs to join the 21st Century like he did during the “Wang Baserunning Incident” a few years ago.
    Noting like a good, old fashioned DH debate.

2. MK - May 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Wait a second…if Beckett is starting on Friday vs the Tigers, his next start normally would be against Minnesota. He’d then miss the Philly series altogether, and they’re not playing a NL team (Philly again) until June 11th.
    Something’s not right here.

3. justin - May 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Boston is going to keep him away from another beating from the Yankees . I’ll bet they’re thinking twice about that contract extension . Just think , four more years of hiding him from the Yankees . It can’t be done .

4. BC - May 11, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I think Beckett screwed his back up the other night (Saturday I think?) and they’re hiding it. He made one bad pitch for 3-2/3 innings but was striking out the world and looked great. Then he just lost it, walks, hit a couple guys, he was all over the place. I’m betting it was an in-game injury that he said nothing about at the time.
    Captcha: mucks situation. There’s that Captcha ESP again….

5. paul - May 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I am a 35 year sox fan and i am as pissed as anyone and I must say your explanation is probably the correct one. I think they want him to skip NY. Though I still can’t understand why on Friday he was throwing and spotting his fastball well in the first two innings at 95 – 97 mph then fell in love with his 3rd best pitch – curveball and got hammered.
    This guy should throw only two pitches – Fastball and changeup. There are plenty of pitchers out there who do this. He should be one of them.

6. paul - May 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I just replied to Justin about this same thing. He was spotting and bringing his 95mph fastball very well and looked damn good. But I don’t know if it is him or Varitek always fall in love with his curveball. It is his 3rd best pitch. He just needs his fastball and changeup. That’s it. You spot those two pitches and he will be fine.

7. Jonny5 - May 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I guess that he just can’t hang with the big boys. Maybe this is why he chose to go to the AL? It’s quite simple, If you can’t hit? pitch in the AL. If you can’t play a lick of defense or pitch,but can hit well? become a DH in the AL. I guess it’s the league that accepts people who can be considered “challanged” at some aspects of the game. Yeah, that’s about it… ;>P

8. Greg - May 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Right, Jonny, that explains the NL getting their butt kicked in the All-Star Game and WS every year .. can’t keep up with those “challenged” players

9. Manny - May 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Becks, I got some good stuff in my old locker that will take the edge off. Top shelf, behind the “cream” next to the “clear.”
    -ManRam

10. justin - May 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

At this point it may just be in his head . You’re correct , he was throwing bb’s at them , and all of a sudden he was lost. Sometimes a pitcher gets something in his head and he falls out off the planet . Take a look at Javy Vazquez for the Yankees , he can’t pitch for that team . I look for the Yankees to trade him back to the National League before the seasons over . I’ll bet they would undo that trade with Atlanta if they could .

11. YankeesfanLen - May 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Nah, we don’t want Melky back.

12. Jonny5 - May 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

The Allstar game is worthless, it’s a demonstration game and the players know it. Anyway it was a joke. The AL does have more “challenged” players though. It’s loaded with ball players who can almost play ball. Pitchers who can’t take BP without getting hurt…….. Hitters who can’t play defense…… The DH was created for chicks, because they love the long ball. ;>P Big poopie will tell ya that much.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4971)