May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Josh Beckett won’t start Friday after all. Boston’s struggling Opening Day starter sufferred back spasms while taking batting practice Monday in anticipation for games in National League parks later this month.
Beckett, who has a 7.46 ERA after getting lit up by the Yankees last weekend, was originally pushed back from Wednesday to Friday so that he could fix his mechanics in a second between-starts bullpen session.
The injury won’t do a whole lot to alter the Red Sox rotation. Tim Wakefield was already slotted in to replace Beckett on Wednesday. If Beckett isn’t ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, then Wakefield will make a second start.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)