May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Josh Beckett won’t start Friday after all. Boston’s struggling Opening Day starter sufferred back spasms while taking batting practice Monday in anticipation for games in National League parks later this month.
Beckett, who has a 7.46 ERA after getting lit up by the Yankees last weekend, was originally pushed back from Wednesday to Friday so that he could fix his mechanics in a second between-starts bullpen session.
The injury won’t do a whole lot to alter the Red Sox rotation. Tim Wakefield was already slotted in to replace Beckett on Wednesday. If Beckett isn’t ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, then Wakefield will make a second start.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 151
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39