May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Josh Beckett won’t start Friday after all. Boston’s struggling Opening Day starter sufferred back spasms while taking batting practice Monday in anticipation for games in National League parks later this month.
Beckett, who has a 7.46 ERA after getting lit up by the Yankees last weekend, was originally pushed back from Wednesday to Friday so that he could fix his mechanics in a second between-starts bullpen session.
The injury won’t do a whole lot to alter the Red Sox rotation. Tim Wakefield was already slotted in to replace Beckett on Wednesday. If Beckett isn’t ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, then Wakefield will make a second start.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 1
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)