May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Josh Beckett won’t start Friday after all. Boston’s struggling Opening Day starter sufferred back spasms while taking batting practice Monday in anticipation for games in National League parks later this month.
Beckett, who has a 7.46 ERA after getting lit up by the Yankees last weekend, was originally pushed back from Wednesday to Friday so that he could fix his mechanics in a second between-starts bullpen session.
The injury won’t do a whole lot to alter the Red Sox rotation. Tim Wakefield was already slotted in to replace Beckett on Wednesday. If Beckett isn’t ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, then Wakefield will make a second start.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)