May 11, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
Josh Beckett won’t start Friday after all. Boston’s struggling Opening Day starter sufferred back spasms while taking batting practice Monday in anticipation for games in National League parks later this month.
Beckett, who has a 7.46 ERA after getting lit up by the Yankees last weekend, was originally pushed back from Wednesday to Friday so that he could fix his mechanics in a second between-starts bullpen session.
The injury won’t do a whole lot to alter the Red Sox rotation. Tim Wakefield was already slotted in to replace Beckett on Wednesday. If Beckett isn’t ready to go by Monday or Tuesday, then Wakefield will make a second start.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)