Mariners: Griffey sleeping article "made up of lies"

May 11, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT

Ken Griffey Jr. swing.jpgOK, now a more serious note about the Mariners’ team meeting. Ken Rosenthal is in Baltimore and is talking to Mariners’ players. Here’s Mike Sweeney:

“We will support and fight and take a bullet for
Ken Griffey Jr. if we have to. He’s our teammate . . . Nothing is going to divide this clubhouse,
especially a makeshift article made up of lies.

Sweeney went on:

“We don’t think there are two players who said that (about Griffey sleeping). I challenged everyone in that room — if they said that — to stand up and fight me. No one stood up.

So Mike Sweeney has either (a) accused Larry LaRue of the Tacoma News-Tribune of making up a story; or (b) has decided that browbeating and intimidating his teammates into agreeing with him that it never happened is the best way to make the story go away.

Not exactly the coming-together moment I would have expected after all of this, but hey, it’s their team. If they want to create their own reality, let them do it.  Personally, if it were my team, I’d try to make this a teaching moment to the young players about keeping dirty laundry in-house instead of telling reporters about it and have everyone leave the meeting talking about the past being the past, how it’s nobody’s business and about how all that matters now is baseball.

But make no mistake: If what Sweeney says happened in that team meeting really happened, the Mariners are now less a baseball team than they are Ken Griffey’s P.R. firm.

UPDATEHere’s a story describing Griffey’s response when asked point blank if he was sleeping in the clubhouse. There was an initial forceful denial, but it was followed up with what sounds like some serious equivocation to me. Obviously you can judge it for yourself, however.

My thoughts on the ultimate truth here: why on Earth would two players make up a story about all of this. Alternatively, why would a reporter make it up?

Whatever the answers are to those questions, I think the way the team appears to have handled the aftermath is pretty poor.

1. MarinerFAN - May 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM

As soon as we start hitting this hooplah story will go away,
    Everyone needs to man up and hit the baseball.
    Rob Johnson needs to go back to High School ball.

2. John - May 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Mike Sweeney is now and alsways has been a class act. He was hugely popular in his years in Kansas City as a team leader and strong supporter of all involved with his teams.
    And I love the stupid lame comment by this latest article writer Craig Calcaterra “…why would a reporter make it up?”
    Simple answer…reporters are far more interested in writing a story than reporting the news. They are so desparate for attention, the only way for them to get noticed is to write something off the deep end. Moreover, there is no accountability for distorting the facts and adding personal twists in order to propagate their own careers.
    To Craig Calcaterra and Larry Larue: Get a life

3. The Chicken Boy - May 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Is it true that Griffey was asleep at this meeting?

4. Mike G. - May 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM

The more I find out about LaRue, the less there is to like. He spent a great deal of time last year trying to start a media feud with the highly esteemed Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.

5. Mike G. - May 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM

And Baker is questioning the sleep story. Given Baker’s reputation vs. LaRue’s, I’m going to take the more cautious approach like Baker is. Any serious reporter should do the same.

6. Gwaarin - May 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I guess the only “dirt” they can find on Griffey is possibly sleeping in the dugout? Guys are pumping themselves full of HGH and testosterone to help themselves cheat and this nitwit writes an article about possibly the only legitamate 50+ HR season/600 HR career hitter in recent mememory, sleeping? What a joke.

7. play - May 11, 2010 at 7:50 PM

whe do wi mit? i no ha-tu-pie, u-no haw?

8. play - May 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM

ga-ga-ra-karama, lady gaga!

9. play - May 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM

if i hir animor ball stury, i go sleep
    i have [2] balls ho mani u-got?

10. PAUL - May 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM

DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

11. (Not That) Tom - May 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM

If I were the snitch, I’d have stood up to Sweeney. Odds of him making contact are pretty slim.

12. Jack Meoff - May 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Monkeyball: I thought Milton Bradley was a toy company!

13. (Not That) Tom - May 11, 2010 at 8:45 PM

What the hell does Ortiz have to do with Griffey? Take your barely-intelligible gibberish back to the Yankees-Sox threads.

14. SJH - May 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM

For the love of Pete Rose…leave it alone. How about we all move on and just enjoy watching the game? Sheesh…what a silly thing for me to be reading about for the past few days…although, I guess by me reading this for the past few days you have accomplished your goal of getting me to read it for the past few days…so, well-done! Now let’s play ball. He feel asleep? Shame on him. Someone made it up? Shame on him. Us caring so much about it? Shame on us.

15. jwb - May 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM

[quote]I’m going to take the more cautious approach like Baker is.[/quote]
    Mike G., Baker’s report in no way contradicts LaRue’s.
    [quote]The follow-up question was whether Griffey had been sleeping in the clubhouse at any other point during the game. He didn’t want to answer.
    “Anything else you want to ask?” he said.
    I told him that there’s a report out there that he was asleep in the clubhouse during the game and we wanted to know whether it was true.
    “It’s a little different than my version,” he said of the story. “Like I said, I’m just hoping that whoever said it be man enough to come to me.”
    Another reporter, Ken Rosenthal of FOX, asked Griffey to spell out what really did happen. But he wouldn’t.[/quote]It seems like Griffey is trying to bigtime his teammates rather than deny their story.
    Maybe somebody should ask Ted Walsh, the home clubbie.

16. Joey B - May 11, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Is it that difficult for someone to review the game tape to see if he was on the bench? It’s kind of weird. Just like with other obvious lies, I’m thinking if he was available to PH, then the manager would’ve said to check the tapes.

17. Security guard - May 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM

It’s ok to sleep at work….at long and u don’t get caught! Poor Griffey shows up last year fat and out of shape. Now’s he is just filling up a DH spot that Andrew Jones could have had.

18. Moses Green - May 12, 2010 at 5:10 AM

CC you can’t have it both ways. Yesterday it was indicative of a serious clubhouse problem, now a forceful veteran presence takes control of the clubhouse through force of personality and force and that’s not a good thing for the team?
    I think Sweeney did what he had to do as a leader and an Irishman. Clearly they identified the rookie that opened his yapper – now they’re trying to figure out the “confirmation”. And if that person exists and doesn’t step forward like the first guy did, he’s a coward and deserves a public ass-whipping from Mike Sweeney.
    Also, everyone making light of the prospect of being forced to tussle with Sweeney has never seen him in person. That’s one thing I hate about the internet, the sea of weasels acting like tough guys. Trust me, there aren’t too many guys in that clubhouse, or on earth, who would willingly throw down with him.

19. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM

HAHAHA, high esteemed Geoff Baker. That’s hilarious. Thanks for the laugh this early in the morning.

20. Tired - May 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Brilliant…and why exactly would Seattle have signed a guy with a .214 avg/ .323 OBP in 2009 over Griffey’s .214 avg/ .324 OBP? Obviously, the numbers are virtually identical & Griffey at least has some cache in Seattle. (Granted, Andruw Jones is hitting .260/.360 so far this season, but that’s not something most would have predicted and may not last.)

21. John Pileggi - May 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Would it be surprising if Griffey was truly sleeping? I do not think so. He has been declining and is playing with a team that is off to a very bad start. His place is history is diminishing and he is not part of the future. Perhaps the two sources are angry at the team not dealing with an obvious issue and used the press to highlight the matter. Poor form, for sure, but not unimaginable. Sweeney is now a tough guy. Did not help matters, other than perhaps helping a festering problem get cancerous.

22. 1jdgriff - May 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Hey, I’ve dozed off watching them this year. Either that or watching reruns of House.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3695)