May 11, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa is batting just .194 following offseason wrist surgery and hasn’t been himself since first suffering the injury in the middle of last season, hitting .224 with a .293 on-base percentage and .374 slugging percentage in 83 games.
DeRosa is scheduled to be examined by a wrist specialist today after expressing his frustration with the injury during a radio interview yesterday:
I’m starting to question some things. I’m gonna get my wrist looked at. I’m not happy with the way I’m swinging the bat. I’ve gotten some pitches to drive over the last week or two that I’m just not getting to. I’m starting to wonder if it’s something physical. I mean, a slump can only last for so long. It seems like ever since I hurt this thing it’s been downhill.
DeRosa is 35 years old, so an age-based decline in ability is also possible, but he hit .277 with a .361 on-base percentage and .477 slugging percentage in the 216 games before suffering the injury. San Francisco handed out matching two-year, $12 million contracts to DeRosa and Freddy Sanchez this offseason, and just 30 games later they’re almost surely regretting both deals.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)