May 11, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa is batting just .194 following offseason wrist surgery and hasn’t been himself since first suffering the injury in the middle of last season, hitting .224 with a .293 on-base percentage and .374 slugging percentage in 83 games.
DeRosa is scheduled to be examined by a wrist specialist today after expressing his frustration with the injury during a radio interview yesterday:
I’m starting to question some things. I’m gonna get my wrist looked at. I’m not happy with the way I’m swinging the bat. I’ve gotten some pitches to drive over the last week or two that I’m just not getting to. I’m starting to wonder if it’s something physical. I mean, a slump can only last for so long. It seems like ever since I hurt this thing it’s been downhill.
DeRosa is 35 years old, so an age-based decline in ability is also possible, but he hit .277 with a .361 on-base percentage and .477 slugging percentage in the 216 games before suffering the injury. San Francisco handed out matching two-year, $12 million contracts to DeRosa and Freddy Sanchez this offseason, and just 30 games later they’re almost surely regretting both deals.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)