May 11, 2010, 2:17 PM EST
This is truly terrible. Padres’ pitcher Kevin Correia’s 22 year-old brother was killed in a hiking accident at Channel Islands National Park over the weekend.
Correia obviously missed his Saturday start as he rushed to be with his family. Today the Padres placed him on the bereavement list. A player on the bereavement list can miss between three and seven games. The Padres recalled pitcher Adam Russell from Portland to take Correia’s
place on the roster. Tim Stauffer, who started in place of Correia on Saturday, could pick up his next start (UPDATE: Um, no he won’t. He just had his appendix taken out).
Prayers if that’s your thing; thoughts if it’s not, and sympathies all around to the Correia family.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)