May 11, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
This is truly terrible. Padres’ pitcher Kevin Correia’s 22 year-old brother was killed in a hiking accident at Channel Islands National Park over the weekend.
Correia obviously missed his Saturday start as he rushed to be with his family. Today the Padres placed him on the bereavement list. A player on the bereavement list can miss between three and seven games. The Padres recalled pitcher Adam Russell from Portland to take Correia’s
place on the roster. Tim Stauffer, who started in place of Correia on Saturday, could pick up his next start (UPDATE: Um, no he won’t. He just had his appendix taken out).
Prayers if that’s your thing; thoughts if it’s not, and sympathies all around to the Correia family.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)