May 11, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
This is truly terrible. Padres’ pitcher Kevin Correia’s 22 year-old brother was killed in a hiking accident at Channel Islands National Park over the weekend.
Correia obviously missed his Saturday start as he rushed to be with his family. Today the Padres placed him on the bereavement list. A player on the bereavement list can miss between three and seven games. The Padres recalled pitcher Adam Russell from Portland to take Correia’s
place on the roster. Tim Stauffer, who started in place of Correia on Saturday, could pick up his next start (UPDATE: Um, no he won’t. He just had his appendix taken out).
Prayers if that’s your thing; thoughts if it’s not, and sympathies all around to the Correia family.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (91)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)