May 11, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
This is truly terrible. Padres’ pitcher Kevin Correia’s 22 year-old brother was killed in a hiking accident at Channel Islands National Park over the weekend.
Correia obviously missed his Saturday start as he rushed to be with his family. Today the Padres placed him on the bereavement list. A player on the bereavement list can miss between three and seven games. The Padres recalled pitcher Adam Russell from Portland to take Correia’s
place on the roster. Tim Stauffer, who started in place of Correia on Saturday, could pick up his next start (UPDATE: Um, no he won’t. He just had his appendix taken out).
Prayers if that’s your thing; thoughts if it’s not, and sympathies all around to the Correia family.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)