May 11, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
The Rockies revealed after Monday’s game that Franklin Morales was unavailable due to a sore shoulder, and though the initial report made it sound like a minor problem, Morales landed on the DL on Tuesday with shoulder weakness.
“We don’t want to push the envelope and risk a serious injury,” manager Jim Tracy told the Denver Post.
Manuel Corpas, who already appeared to be in line for save chances over Morales anyway, will now handle closing duties until Huston Street comes off the DL. Street, who has been sidelined since the spring with his own shoulder woes, is set to begin a rehab assignment Thursday.
Morales was named the Rockies’ closer to start the year despite the presence of a couple of much better compensated relievers on the roster in Corpas and Rafael Betancourt. He was just 3-for-5 saving games, though, and he taken two losses since converting his last save chance on April 22.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)