May 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
The Mets designated utilityman Frank Catalanotto for assignment after last night’s game, and have called up Chris Carter from Buffalo.
Carter, an outfielder by trade, has hit .336 with a 1.001 OPS in 29 games with the Bisons. He’s 27 and has had 132 minor league homers, so he’s not exactly been on the prospect fastrack (he’s a product of the Red Sox organization and came over in the Billy Wagner trade) but he does have some pop in his bat and should be useful.
Carter has been described by his teammates as “a baseball cyborg,” and really impressed them with his work ethic and intensity during spring training. Here’s hoping that he gets a chance to show it, primarily at the expense of Gary Matthews, Jr.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 14
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 41
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)