May 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
The Mets designated utilityman Frank Catalanotto for assignment after last night’s game, and have called up Chris Carter from Buffalo.
Carter, an outfielder by trade, has hit .336 with a 1.001 OPS in 29 games with the Bisons. He’s 27 and has had 132 minor league homers, so he’s not exactly been on the prospect fastrack (he’s a product of the Red Sox organization and came over in the Billy Wagner trade) but he does have some pop in his bat and should be useful.
Carter has been described by his teammates as “a baseball cyborg,” and really impressed them with his work ethic and intensity during spring training. Here’s hoping that he gets a chance to show it, primarily at the expense of Gary Matthews, Jr.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)