May 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
The Mets designated utilityman Frank Catalanotto for assignment after last night’s game, and have called up Chris Carter from Buffalo.
Carter, an outfielder by trade, has hit .336 with a 1.001 OPS in 29 games with the Bisons. He’s 27 and has had 132 minor league homers, so he’s not exactly been on the prospect fastrack (he’s a product of the Red Sox organization and came over in the Billy Wagner trade) but he does have some pop in his bat and should be useful.
Carter has been described by his teammates as “a baseball cyborg,” and really impressed them with his work ethic and intensity during spring training. Here’s hoping that he gets a chance to show it, primarily at the expense of Gary Matthews, Jr.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)