May 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
The Mets designated utilityman Frank Catalanotto for assignment after last night’s game, and have called up Chris Carter from Buffalo.
Carter, an outfielder by trade, has hit .336 with a 1.001 OPS in 29 games with the Bisons. He’s 27 and has had 132 minor league homers, so he’s not exactly been on the prospect fastrack (he’s a product of the Red Sox organization and came over in the Billy Wagner trade) but he does have some pop in his bat and should be useful.
Carter has been described by his teammates as “a baseball cyborg,” and really impressed them with his work ethic and intensity during spring training. Here’s hoping that he gets a chance to show it, primarily at the expense of Gary Matthews, Jr.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)