May 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
The Mets designated utilityman Frank Catalanotto for assignment after last night’s game, and have called up Chris Carter from Buffalo.
Carter, an outfielder by trade, has hit .336 with a 1.001 OPS in 29 games with the Bisons. He’s 27 and has had 132 minor league homers, so he’s not exactly been on the prospect fastrack (he’s a product of the Red Sox organization and came over in the Billy Wagner trade) but he does have some pop in his bat and should be useful.
Carter has been described by his teammates as “a baseball cyborg,” and really impressed them with his work ethic and intensity during spring training. Here’s hoping that he gets a chance to show it, primarily at the expense of Gary Matthews, Jr.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)