May 11, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
J.J. Hardy injured his left wrist sliding into third base on a triple that proved to be the game-winning run last Tuesday and this afternoon the Twins put him on the disabled list.
Rather than replace him with legitimate prospect like Luke Hughes, Danny Valencia, or Trevor Plouffe the Twins have added to their amazing collection of banjo-hitting utility infielders by calling up Matt Tolbert from Triple-A. Tolbert is anything but deserving after hitting .232 with a .632 OPS and six errors in 27 games at Triple-A, but he’s a poor man’s Nick Punto and so naturally Ron Gardenhire loves him.
Tolbert, Punto, and Alexi Casilla each have a career OPS under .650 and Brendan Harris is the slugger of the group with a measly .266/.324/.394 career line. Two of those four will be in the lineup every day until Hardy returns and the defense will suffer as well. Harris is a terrible shortstop and both Tolbert and Casilla are mediocre at best, yet while Gardenhire is constantly praising Punto as a Gold Glove-caliber defender at every position so far he’s refused to move him away from third base.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)