May 11, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
J.J. Hardy injured his left wrist sliding into third base on a triple that proved to be the game-winning run last Tuesday and this afternoon the Twins put him on the disabled list.
Rather than replace him with legitimate prospect like Luke Hughes, Danny Valencia, or Trevor Plouffe the Twins have added to their amazing collection of banjo-hitting utility infielders by calling up Matt Tolbert from Triple-A. Tolbert is anything but deserving after hitting .232 with a .632 OPS and six errors in 27 games at Triple-A, but he’s a poor man’s Nick Punto and so naturally Ron Gardenhire loves him.
Tolbert, Punto, and Alexi Casilla each have a career OPS under .650 and Brendan Harris is the slugger of the group with a measly .266/.324/.394 career line. Two of those four will be in the lineup every day until Hardy returns and the defense will suffer as well. Harris is a terrible shortstop and both Tolbert and Casilla are mediocre at best, yet while Gardenhire is constantly praising Punto as a Gold Glove-caliber defender at every position so far he’s refused to move him away from third base.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 25
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)