Bobby Jenks wants everyone to 'chill out'

May 12, 2010, 1:44 PM EDT

With closer Bobby Jenks struggling Ozzie Guillen said before last night’s game that he’d go with matchups in the ninth inning, but Jenks ended up getting the save anyway after Guillen used southpaw Matt Thornton in the eighth inning versus left-handed hitters Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau.
Thornton may have gotten the save chance had Minnesota’s big lefty bats been up in the ninth inning instead, but clearly Jenks hasn’t totally lost his grip on the job. And clearly he thinks that’s the way it should be, because here’s what Jenks had to say about the whole situation after notching his sixth save of the season:

That’s the thing I don’t understand, all the stuff going on. I mean it’s one game. Everyone is hitting the panic button in f***ing April. Chill out. I don’t want to say everything I want to say, but it was one bad game. The game before that I gave up a solo home run, the wind is blowing out 20 mph, what are you going to do? I really don’t want to comment on it too much because I really don’t want to start anything, but it was one game. It was one f***ing game. Things happen.

I’m not normally someone who sticks up for White Sox, but Jenks is absolutely right. He’s no longer the elite, dominant closer he was a few years ago and may pitch himself out of the job at some point, but he certainly hasn’t done it yet with just one blown save in seven tries and 17 strikeouts in 13 innings.
I also liked this Jenks quote, about giving up a double to former teammate Jim Thome last night: “He keeps doing that, I know where he lives. I’ll just toilet paper his house.”

1. Frank - May 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

“That’s the thing I don’t understand, all the stuff going on. I mean it’s one game. Everyone is hitting the panic button in f***ing April.”
    Or its May. Whatevs.

2. TMW - May 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM

The Sox had a 3 run lead last night with Jenks facing #7,8,9 (albeit Jim Thome was pinch-hitting) and Ozzie still had double-barrel action in their bullpen. That’s really insulting. I agree with him that it’s odd that managers and media can’t handle closer variance the way they can starting pitcher variance. We all seemed to correctly assume that a pitcher like Jake Peavy was eventually going to get right, but a bad month by Jenks means let’s talk demotion even though he much less responsible for the White Sox’s struggles than Peavy and Floyd?

3. Josh - May 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Well, Frank, the South Siders don’t much care for your “facts” and sitch. They just rub dirt on their uni’s, swaller the tobbakee juice, dribble some on their chins, rub dirt on that, and then go out and … play like a mediocre team still coasting on a World Series that came as the result of the entire pitching staff simultaneously having career years, plus one good inning by Orlando Hernandez.
    RE: Thome: It would have been better if Jenks had gone with a Roaring Twenties quote like: “What can I say? The old man’s still an artist with the toothpick!”

4. Don - May 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Well, Josh, the North Siders don’t much care for “facts” and such. They just sinch up thier panties, dab on a little Walmart perfume, and go out and play like the terrible team they are, still coasting on the World Series they won a CENTURY ago and way way overspending for bad attitudes with worse talent.

5. Young Gopher - May 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM

This is waaaaaay better than a Red Sox-Yankees ripfest. Why can’t we have more Northside-Southside battles? It makes it even better because the White Sox and Cubbies are horrible. Maybe A.J. will get punched again!
    captcha: their barkers (I know the grammar’s off, but for some that’s good enough.)

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4154)