May 12, 2010, 2:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: You’re welcome, Tigers fans, for my little jinxing of Vazquez. It’s now 2-0 Tigers. Please leave the cash in an unmarked bag outside of the Bread Basket Deli at the corner of 10 1/2 Mile Road and Greenfield in Oak Park. I’ll be inside gettin’ my corned beef on.
2:25 P.M.: Lowe has now given up a hit. Vazquez’s shutout is intact through five, however.
2:17 P.M.: The Yankees and Tigers are just starting the bottom of the fifth in Detroit, and so far Javy Vazquez is pitching one-hit shutout baseball on 47 pitches. Just so you know.
Query: if Javy pitches well for the rest of the day do the people out for his blood give him his due, or do they chalk it up as a fluke due to the cold and the doubleheader and the ocean currents and stuff?
In other troubled-pitchers-in-day-game baseball news, Derek Lowe has a no-hitter going through four in the Braves-Brewers tilt. Yeah, I suppose I’ll give him his due if he pulls it off, but I’m going to have to really be talked out of the ocean currents thing with him.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)