May 12, 2010, 2:25 PM EST
UPDATE: You’re welcome, Tigers fans, for my little jinxing of Vazquez. It’s now 2-0 Tigers. Please leave the cash in an unmarked bag outside of the Bread Basket Deli at the corner of 10 1/2 Mile Road and Greenfield in Oak Park. I’ll be inside gettin’ my corned beef on.
2:25 P.M.: Lowe has now given up a hit. Vazquez’s shutout is intact through five, however.
2:17 P.M.: The Yankees and Tigers are just starting the bottom of the fifth in Detroit, and so far Javy Vazquez is pitching one-hit shutout baseball on 47 pitches. Just so you know.
Query: if Javy pitches well for the rest of the day do the people out for his blood give him his due, or do they chalk it up as a fluke due to the cold and the doubleheader and the ocean currents and stuff?
In other troubled-pitchers-in-day-game baseball news, Derek Lowe has a no-hitter going through four in the Braves-Brewers tilt. Yeah, I suppose I’ll give him his due if he pulls it off, but I’m going to have to really be talked out of the ocean currents thing with him.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)