Javy Vazquez, shutting the Tigers out through four

May 12, 2010, 2:25 PM EST

UPDATE: You’re welcome, Tigers fans, for my little jinxing of Vazquez. It’s now 2-0 Tigers. Please leave the cash in an unmarked bag outside of the Bread Basket Deli at the corner of 10 1/2 Mile Road and Greenfield in Oak Park. I’ll be inside gettin’ my corned beef on.

2:25 P.M.:  Lowe has now given up a hit. Vazquez’s shutout is intact through five, however.

2:17 P.M.: The Yankees and Tigers are just starting the bottom of the fifth in Detroit, and so far Javy Vazquez is pitching one-hit shutout baseball on 47 pitches.  Just so you know.

Query: if Javy pitches well for the rest of the day do the people out for his blood give him his due, or do they chalk it up as a fluke due to the cold and the doubleheader and the ocean currents and stuff?

In other troubled-pitchers-in-day-game baseball news, Derek Lowe has a no-hitter going through four in the Braves-Brewers tilt. Yeah, I suppose I’ll give him his due if he pulls it off, but I’m going to have to really be talked out of the ocean currents thing with him.

1. ThanksForJinxingJavy - May 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Scores 2-0 Detroit

2. eric - May 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM

nice work craig. as soon as you posted this the tigers score two.

3. Craig Calcaterra - May 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Bwahahahahahah!

4. Jacob - May 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM

You can boo a guy for going 7 and giving up 2 ER, right?

5. Curious George - May 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

You can boo a guy for going 7 and giving up 2 ER, right?

I’m sure there’s even a chucklehead blogger who will elect to portray the effort as that of a gutless bitch.

6. Dan - May 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Oh my god, the bread basket deli is rock solid. We used to go there when I was a kid after playing baseball games against Huntington Woods, and the like. It’s no Star Deli, but it’s damn good nonetheless.

7. Craig Calcaterra - May 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

That was my family’s go-to place in the late 80s-early 90s after we shoved my, er, I mean, after my grandmother decided to move into a seniors apartment building around the corner. It changed ownership seven or eight years ago and my sense was that it kind of went downhill. Of course since my grandmother died we don’t get there as often as we used to, so I could have just had a bad couple of lunches there.
    Star Bakery was the shiznit when I was a kid. Grandmother used to pick up fresh rye and seven layer cake, go next door for the corned beef, and head up to our house with it all.
    Ahhhhhh, sweet memories.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4478)
  2. M. Kemp (3607)
  3. M. Cabrera (2862)
  4. M. Morse (2542)
  5. J. Kang (2420)
  1. J. Upton (2393)
  2. C. Headley (2143)
  3. A. Rios (2137)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1900)
  5. J. Peavy (1811)