Ken Burns' "Tenth Inning" slated for September

May 12, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

We’ve been hearing about this for more than a year, but Ken Burns’ addendum to his 1994 “Baseball” documentary, entitled “The Tenth Inning,” is going to air on PBS September 28th and 29th.

The documentary will cover stuff that went down in the 1990s and 2000s such as steroids, the rise of the new Yankees’ dynasty and the Red Sox breaking the Curse of the Bambino.

Word is that there may be a few segments that don’t cover totally overexposed and tiresome topics as well.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

re:tag- Where do you think that Bieber kid got the idea from?

2. TMW - May 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Craig, if Ken Burns asked you to story-board and pace ‘The Tenth Inning’ what would you propose?

3. scatterbrian - May 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Bieber?
    I was thinking more Chachi or Poncherello

4. Levi Stahl - May 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

And surely Doris Kearns Goodwin will be in there talking about the fiftieth anniversary of the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn, right?
    Captcha: the ebay. You guys selling ads down there now?

5. snell - May 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Wow…any chance he’ll cover baseball that didn’t happen on the Eastern Seaboard?
    Nah, why start now…

6. Old Gator - May 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Someone ought to do an epic documentary about great hot stove league moments. It wouldn’t do much to counteract the widespread belief that fantasy baseball freaks are sort of a cross between J. Henry Waugh and the Philip Seymour Hoffman character from Happiness, but it would sure sell a lot of ads.
    I do hope he covers the inexcusable failure of the slugs, morons, ingrates, sots and archsots, cretins, morlocks, illiterates, degenerates, retards, smellsmocks, knuckledraggers, tosspots, spalpeens, anencephalics, anencephalluses and ambulatory rectums of the Old Timer’s Committee to vote Buck O’Neil into the Hall of Fame. And they’re lucky I didn’t have my beat up but trusty copy of Suttree with me or I would have reviled them with even more contemptuous innuendoes.

7. Bobomo - May 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM

How dare you Old Gator! My MOTHER was a tosspot!

8. Old Gator - May 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Oh. But unless she were of the Knoxville Tosspots, she wouldn’t be covered by my disquisition. Now the Feelie Tosspots, that’s another story. The guy who puked on the little girl was descended from them.

9. Steve B - May 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I am sure that there will be significant coverage of international players, as some of the interviewees on the slate include Ichiro (which will be super fun) and James endured some probably-justifiable criticism for not really including anything thematic about latino players in the previous nine innings.
    No one asked me but I think my best guess at Burns’ storyboard is as follows. The two primary themes are baseball rescuing itself from the 1994 strike (which resonates with earlier themes), and the meaning of the current baseball era.
    1994 Players’ Strike (reasons, canceled WS)
    1995 Cal Ripken, Jr.
    1997 Marlins and subsequent fire sale (fan response to this kind of behavior, which is as old as the game); possible expansion team success talk
    Dominican Republic success and latino stars
    Fantasy baseball brings in fans
    1998 home run race
    Mighty 1998 Yankees and the new dynasty
    Barry Bonds
    Ichiromania
    9/11
    2001 World Series
    BALCO, andro, congressional hearings
    Moneyball and sabermetrics
    Sox-Yankees
    2004 Red Sox (Tessie!)
    2005 White Sox (shorter mention)
    WBC and the real fruition of the international game
    Other players who will get segments peppered in:
    Maddux