Mark DeRosa: my wrist surgery was "a total failure"

May 12, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT

Mark DeRosa swing.jpgMark DeRosa has numbness in the ring and pinky fingers of his left hand, preventing
him from swinging the bat effectively.  “I feel like my bottom hand’s underwater. I don’t have much feeling in
my bottom two fingers,” he says.

This is bad enough as it is, but what makes it worse is that this sort of thing was supposed to have been corrected by the offseason surgery he had. Now he’s calling that surgery a “total failure,” and he’s considering having another surgery because he simply can’t hit the ball.  Attention Mark DeRosa’s surgeon: put your insurance carrier on notice.

But I’m less interested in the specifics of DeRosa’s wrist injury as I am in his anecdote about how it’s affecting him:

DeRosa last played Saturday, when he went 0-for-5 at New York and didn’t
hit the ball out of the infield in three at-bats against Mets starter
Johan Santana.

“It came to a full head in my second at-bat,” DeRosa recalled.
“[Santana's] throwing 88, 89 [mph] and I was sitting on a middle-in
fastball. It was there on a tee. I went to move on it. When it came out
of his hand, I [said], ‘This is a bare minimum double to left-center.’
The next thing I know, it’s a weak popup to second base.”

What does it say about Santana’s velocity that his pitches are being referred to as being “there on a tee” by a middlin’-at-best super utility guy?

1. Patrick - May 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I’m more impressed by the fact that DeRosa can give such a thorough, eloquent analysis in 0.4 seconds.

2. Randy - May 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Another Sabean signing bust. Let’s see, he extends Sanchez to a ridiculous 2 yr contract even though he never really played for the Giants because of knee and shoulder injury and post season surgery. Oh yeah, and he is still injured. Renteria…injured. DeRosa…injured. Great signings Sabean. Oh yeah, Molina…injured. So what is that, $20M sitting on the bench.

3. enough already - May 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Two roads diverged in a wood and you took the third one.

4. Pandamonium - May 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I couldn’t be happier about these injuries. Maybe now they’ll give extended looks to Schierholtz AND Bowker, maybe even start them against lefties and realize that both players are pretty legit when they get some regular atbats. Of course I’m sure Sabean is already thinking about something crazy like signing Blalock to play 3B, moving Pablo to 1B and playing Huff in left. After he’s done with that he’s gonna go down to Fresno and shoot his BB gun at the AAA players because lets face it they’re useless otherwise.

5. hardjuge - May 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM

BB gun, or Triple A players?

6. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I think it means DeRosa’s got numbness in his optical nerve(s) as well… Maybe the doctors should amputate his brain stem.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act