May 12, 2010, 9:50 AM EST
Mark DeRosa has numbness in the ring and pinky fingers of his left hand, preventing
him from swinging the bat effectively. “I feel like my bottom hand’s underwater. I don’t have much feeling in
my bottom two fingers,” he says.
This is bad enough as it is, but what makes it worse is that this sort of thing was supposed to have been corrected by the offseason surgery he had. Now he’s calling that surgery a “total failure,” and he’s considering having another surgery because he simply can’t hit the ball. Attention Mark DeRosa’s surgeon: put your insurance carrier on notice.
But I’m less interested in the specifics of DeRosa’s wrist injury as I am in his anecdote about how it’s affecting him:
DeRosa last played Saturday, when he went 0-for-5 at New York and didn’t
hit the ball out of the infield in three at-bats against Mets starter
“It came to a full head in my second at-bat,” DeRosa recalled.
“[Santana’s] throwing 88, 89 [mph] and I was sitting on a middle-in
fastball. It was there on a tee. I went to move on it. When it came out
of his hand, I [said], ‘This is a bare minimum double to left-center.’
The next thing I know, it’s a weak popup to second base.”
What does it say about Santana’s velocity that his pitches are being referred to as being “there on a tee” by a middlin’-at-best super utility guy?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 44
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)