May 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
“That’s just bull—-. That’s not really fair. That’s
just not fair. It’s ridiculous. Absolutely crazy.”
– Mets’ rightfielder Jeff Francoeur, reacting to Major League Baseball’s decision to move the Jays-Phillies series to Philadelphia, thereby giving the Phillies three extra home games.
I sympathize with Jeffy on this one — and for all I’ve said about the guy, I do love the fact that he speaks his mind all the time — but after reading everything I could find about this whole G-20 thing, I don’t know that there were any better choices.
As Richard Griffin points out in the Toronto Star, the real problem here was not making this decision earlier. Griffin notes that “the Jays have been blithely selling tickets for the games, right up
until Monday afternoon, as if they were still going to be played at the
Poor form, yes, but the ultimate outcome of it is probably the best that can be made of a bad situation.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (183)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)