May 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
“That’s just bull—-. That’s not really fair. That’s
just not fair. It’s ridiculous. Absolutely crazy.”
– Mets’ rightfielder Jeff Francoeur, reacting to Major League Baseball’s decision to move the Jays-Phillies series to Philadelphia, thereby giving the Phillies three extra home games.
I sympathize with Jeffy on this one — and for all I’ve said about the guy, I do love the fact that he speaks his mind all the time — but after reading everything I could find about this whole G-20 thing, I don’t know that there were any better choices.
As Richard Griffin points out in the Toronto Star, the real problem here was not making this decision earlier. Griffin notes that “the Jays have been blithely selling tickets for the games, right up
until Monday afternoon, as if they were still going to be played at the
Poor form, yes, but the ultimate outcome of it is probably the best that can be made of a bad situation.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 60
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 13
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)