May 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
“That’s just bull—-. That’s not really fair. That’s
just not fair. It’s ridiculous. Absolutely crazy.”
— Mets’ rightfielder Jeff Francoeur, reacting to Major League Baseball’s decision to move the Jays-Phillies series to Philadelphia, thereby giving the Phillies three extra home games.
I sympathize with Jeffy on this one — and for all I’ve said about the guy, I do love the fact that he speaks his mind all the time — but after reading everything I could find about this whole G-20 thing, I don’t know that there were any better choices.
As Richard Griffin points out in the Toronto Star, the real problem here was not making this decision earlier. Griffin notes that “the Jays have been blithely selling tickets for the games, right up
until Monday afternoon, as if they were still going to be played at the
Poor form, yes, but the ultimate outcome of it is probably the best that can be made of a bad situation.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 16
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)