May 12, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has struggled to come back from the Achilles’ tendon injury that cut his impressive rookie campaign short and required surgery in September, and now Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are sending him back to Triple-A.
As if a return to the minors wasn’t bad enough for a 26-year-old who hit .279/.365/.466 in 104 games last season, Reimold is losing his roster spot to Corey Patterson. Yes, that Corey Patterson. Apparently his hitting .368 in 14 games at Triple-A convinced the Orioles to overlook a decade of awfulness, or maybe they just want a speedy center fielder off the bench and don’t care about his bat.
Either way, Reimold is hitting just .205 with 20 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances and has looked very rough defensively when the Orioles haven’t limited him to designated hitter duties, so it’s tough to blame them for thinking he’s better off trying to get back on track in Norfolk rather than Baltimore. And if Reimold can’t clobber Triple-A pitching, then the Orioles will know something is really wrong. He hit .394 with a 1.228 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A before being called up last season.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)