May 12, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has struggled to come back from the Achilles’ tendon injury that cut his impressive rookie campaign short and required surgery in September, and now Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are sending him back to Triple-A.
As if a return to the minors wasn’t bad enough for a 26-year-old who hit .279/.365/.466 in 104 games last season, Reimold is losing his roster spot to Corey Patterson. Yes, that Corey Patterson. Apparently his hitting .368 in 14 games at Triple-A convinced the Orioles to overlook a decade of awfulness, or maybe they just want a speedy center fielder off the bench and don’t care about his bat.
Either way, Reimold is hitting just .205 with 20 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances and has looked very rough defensively when the Orioles haven’t limited him to designated hitter duties, so it’s tough to blame them for thinking he’s better off trying to get back on track in Norfolk rather than Baltimore. And if Reimold can’t clobber Triple-A pitching, then the Orioles will know something is really wrong. He hit .394 with a 1.228 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A before being called up last season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)