May 12, 2010, 3:49 PM EST
Nolan Reimold has struggled to come back from the Achilles’ tendon injury that cut his impressive rookie campaign short and required surgery in September, and now Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are sending him back to Triple-A.
As if a return to the minors wasn’t bad enough for a 26-year-old who hit .279/.365/.466 in 104 games last season, Reimold is losing his roster spot to Corey Patterson. Yes, that Corey Patterson. Apparently his hitting .368 in 14 games at Triple-A convinced the Orioles to overlook a decade of awfulness, or maybe they just want a speedy center fielder off the bench and don’t care about his bat.
Either way, Reimold is hitting just .205 with 20 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances and has looked very rough defensively when the Orioles haven’t limited him to designated hitter duties, so it’s tough to blame them for thinking he’s better off trying to get back on track in Norfolk rather than Baltimore. And if Reimold can’t clobber Triple-A pitching, then the Orioles will know something is really wrong. He hit .394 with a 1.228 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A before being called up last season.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 10
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)