May 12, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Nolan Reimold has struggled to come back from the Achilles’ tendon injury that cut his impressive rookie campaign short and required surgery in September, and now Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are sending him back to Triple-A.
As if a return to the minors wasn’t bad enough for a 26-year-old who hit .279/.365/.466 in 104 games last season, Reimold is losing his roster spot to Corey Patterson. Yes, that Corey Patterson. Apparently his hitting .368 in 14 games at Triple-A convinced the Orioles to overlook a decade of awfulness, or maybe they just want a speedy center fielder off the bench and don’t care about his bat.
Either way, Reimold is hitting just .205 with 20 strikeouts in 96 plate appearances and has looked very rough defensively when the Orioles haven’t limited him to designated hitter duties, so it’s tough to blame them for thinking he’s better off trying to get back on track in Norfolk rather than Baltimore. And if Reimold can’t clobber Triple-A pitching, then the Orioles will know something is really wrong. He hit .394 with a 1.228 OPS in 31 games at Triple-A before being called up last season.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 0
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 35
- Dodgers-Marlins trade involving Mat Latos “being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 61
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)