May 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
There was no collision involved, but Melvin Mora and Carlos Ruiz were both forced from the Phillies-Rockies game Wednesday after getting hurt on the same play in the seventh inning.
Mora, who was playing second, was injured stretching from the base to receive a throw from third on a potential triple-play ball from Ruiz. He caught the ball to complete the double play, but he was able to get Ruiz running to first, even though Ruiz injured his right knee running out the grounder.
Both players are being described as day-to-day. Ruiz’s injury is the more crucial of the two, particularly since his backup, Brian Schneider, landed on the DL over the weekend. The Phillies were forced to turn to light-hitting Paul Hoover as his replacement, and they’ll probably have to call up a third catcher if Ruiz is going to be out for a few days.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)