May 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
There was no collision involved, but Melvin Mora and Carlos Ruiz were both forced from the Phillies-Rockies game Wednesday after getting hurt on the same play in the seventh inning.
Mora, who was playing second, was injured stretching from the base to receive a throw from third on a potential triple-play ball from Ruiz. He caught the ball to complete the double play, but he was able to get Ruiz running to first, even though Ruiz injured his right knee running out the grounder.
Both players are being described as day-to-day. Ruiz’s injury is the more crucial of the two, particularly since his backup, Brian Schneider, landed on the DL over the weekend. The Phillies were forced to turn to light-hitting Paul Hoover as his replacement, and they’ll probably have to call up a third catcher if Ruiz is going to be out for a few days.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)