May 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
There was no collision involved, but Melvin Mora and Carlos Ruiz were both forced from the Phillies-Rockies game Wednesday after getting hurt on the same play in the seventh inning.
Mora, who was playing second, was injured stretching from the base to receive a throw from third on a potential triple-play ball from Ruiz. He caught the ball to complete the double play, but he was able to get Ruiz running to first, even though Ruiz injured his right knee running out the grounder.
Both players are being described as day-to-day. Ruiz’s injury is the more crucial of the two, particularly since his backup, Brian Schneider, landed on the DL over the weekend. The Phillies were forced to turn to light-hitting Paul Hoover as his replacement, and they’ll probably have to call up a third catcher if Ruiz is going to be out for a few days.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 43
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)