May 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
There was no collision involved, but Melvin Mora and Carlos Ruiz were both forced from the Phillies-Rockies game Wednesday after getting hurt on the same play in the seventh inning.
Mora, who was playing second, was injured stretching from the base to receive a throw from third on a potential triple-play ball from Ruiz. He caught the ball to complete the double play, but he was able to get Ruiz running to first, even though Ruiz injured his right knee running out the grounder.
Both players are being described as day-to-day. Ruiz’s injury is the more crucial of the two, particularly since his backup, Brian Schneider, landed on the DL over the weekend. The Phillies were forced to turn to light-hitting Paul Hoover as his replacement, and they’ll probably have to call up a third catcher if Ruiz is going to be out for a few days.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)