May 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
There was no collision involved, but Melvin Mora and Carlos Ruiz were both forced from the Phillies-Rockies game Wednesday after getting hurt on the same play in the seventh inning.
Mora, who was playing second, was injured stretching from the base to receive a throw from third on a potential triple-play ball from Ruiz. He caught the ball to complete the double play, but he was able to get Ruiz running to first, even though Ruiz injured his right knee running out the grounder.
Both players are being described as day-to-day. Ruiz’s injury is the more crucial of the two, particularly since his backup, Brian Schneider, landed on the DL over the weekend. The Phillies were forced to turn to light-hitting Paul Hoover as his replacement, and they’ll probably have to call up a third catcher if Ruiz is going to be out for a few days.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)