May 12, 2010, 10:10 AM EST
I’m probably risking a fine from the guild for not putting the word “dreaded” before “vote of confidence” in that headline, but in this case I don’t think it’s appropriate.
Dayton Moore said that Trey Hillman is “exactly what our organization needs at this point in time.” Dayton Moore has been demonstrably wrong in almost everything he’s done since he took over the Royals. Ergo, Moore probably truly believes that Hillman is the right guy, and this likely isn’t one of those “dreaded votes of confidence” that often serve as the harbinger of a managerial firing.
The key to all of this, I think, is the “what our organization needs” at this point. Based on everything the Royals have done since David Glass took over as owner, what the organization appears to need most is profitability and the lack of headaches whenever possible. Firing a manager creates headaches. Firing a manager in mid-contract means you’ll have to pay two guys at the same time, both the former and current manager. That’s no way to be profitable!
So really, I think in the organization’s heart of hearts, keeping Hillman around is what is needed. Whether that’s good for winning baseball games, however, is another matter entirely.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)