Trey Hillman gets a vote of confidence from his GM

May 12, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT

I’m probably risking a fine from the guild for not putting the word “dreaded” before “vote of confidence” in that headline, but in this case I don’t think it’s appropriate.

Dayton Moore said that Trey Hillman is “exactly what our organization needs at this point in time.”  Dayton Moore has been demonstrably wrong in almost everything he’s done since he took over the Royals. Ergo, Moore probably truly believes that Hillman is the right guy, and this likely isn’t one of those “dreaded votes of confidence” that often serve as the harbinger of a managerial firing.

The key to all of this, I think, is the “what our organization needs” at this point. Based on everything the Royals have done since David Glass took over as owner, what the organization appears to need most is profitability and the lack of headaches whenever possible. Firing a manager creates headaches. Firing a manager in mid-contract means you’ll have to pay two guys at the same time, both the former and current manager. That’s no way to be profitable!

So really, I think in the organization’s heart of hearts, keeping Hillman around is what is needed.  Whether that’s good for winning baseball games, however, is another matter entirely.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Your analysis is quite correct. David Glass would sooner BUY the Rangers and have Hillman run them BOTH than pay a manager for one day to do nothing. That’s the Wal-Mart way!

2. BC - May 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Contraction is exactly what their organization needs. Them and the Pirates.

3. Kevin - May 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Moore also said, “I believe in our baseball team. I believe in the talent that we have here.” At the same time he suggested that the team had been performing below its level of talent: “We’ve got to play better. It’s not a question of effort or passion from our coaching staff. It’s all there. But together, we’ve got to perform and win games.”
    So what does the record say? Betancourt, Podsednik, and Guillen have each been performing above their established career levels so far this season, while Kendall and Ankiel (before he was hurt) have performed above expectations as well. Butler has picked up right where he left off last season. And the team is 11-22 anyway. So who’s the scapegoat Moore is looking for? Can’t be Gordon — he got only 38 PAs before they punched his ticket to Omaha.
    The bullpen was responsible for a number of the early losses, but clearly Moore didn’t actually believe in them very much, because he’s already unloaded two of the bullpen guys who were on the opening day roster and rotated two more replacements in and out.
    This must be what it sounds like when the band plays on.

4. Ron - May 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Why? If you contract two teams, then 2 others will become doormats. Contraction won’t sovle any competitive imbalance problem.
    By the way, have you ever heard of the Minnesota Twins?

5. Charles Gates - May 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I went to the Wilmington Blue Rocks game last night. They’re the Royals’ class A team. My Finance got me tickets for my birthday. How can you go wrong being about half way from home plate and the first base dugout, three rows off the field, for $10 a ticket, and free parking?
    Anyway, I digress. The situation doesn’t seem to be getting better for KC from what I saw. Sample size of 1, sure, I’m not going to rate the players, though the first basemen Hosmer seems like he has potential, but with the bases loaded and one out, Rupp, the manager, is playing his infield in. The guys at the corners? I can see that. But the SS Navarro has an arm protected by the 2nd Amendment, so I figure turning two to get out of the jam wouldn’t be a issue. After being so close to the dugout I could have beaned Rupp with a peanut shell, I’m kicking myself for not asking what was, or wasn’t, going through his head at the time.
    From Aaron’s article on the 11th, ‘He (Hillman) arrived as a hope to improve fundamentals’…’Well, in his third season and managing his kind of roster, the Royals rank last in defense and base running. Their run production doesn’t match up to their level of hitting, let alone exceed it. These are the areas Hillman was supposed to help. At best, he’s been ineffective.‘ Coaching breeds fundamentals, and after last night, I don’t see it happening for the Royals in the future either.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)