Bernie Carbo tried to pay someone to break Keith Hernandez's arms

May 13, 2010, 2:40 PM EST

In an interview with ESPN for an upcoming “Outside the Lines” segment, longtime major leaguer Bernie Carbo revealed that he tried to pay someone to break Keith Hernandez’s arms in 1985 after Hernandez testified that Carbo introduced him to cocaine when they were teammates on the Cardinals.

I knew some people, and I had $2,000, and I asked them to break his arms. When I went to the individual to have it done he said, “We’ll do it in two or three years if you want it done, but we’re not going to do it today, Bernie. If we went and broke his legs today, or broke his arms, you don’t think they would understand that you are the one that had it done?”

Carbo is most famous for his home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, but admitted that he played that game and hundreds of others while on drugs.

I was addicted to the point where I couldn’t play without the drugs. Nobody did as many drugs as I did. I was taking mescaline. I was taking cocaine. Crystal meth. Smoking dope and taking pills and drinking. I felt that even though I hit this home run and I reached a place in my life that I dreamed about, it didn’t bring me any happiness.

You can watch the entire interview Sunday morning on ESPN. And someone should probably wake Keith Hernandez up so he can watch.

1. The Executive - May 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I have a new favorite player. I wonder how much I can get that baseball card for.

2. BC - May 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Can I sic him on Chipper Jones? Wish I could have done that about 15 years ago….

3. YaneesfanLen - May 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

This is a hoot! Too bad this wasn’t known during the Seinfeld days, Kramer could have protected him.

4. oompaloopma - May 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM

“I knew some people” its probably best he not tell us who they are because they will most likely kill him. I am guessing a Tony Soprano type.

5. BC - May 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Willie Bank: I know people highly invested in my survival, and they are people who really know how to hurt in ways you can’t even imagine.
    Danny Ocean: Well, I know all the guys that you’d hire to come after me, and they like me better than you.

6. FUGETABOUTIT - May 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM

BERNIE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

7. jwb - May 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

“I am guessing a Tony Soprano type.”
    More likely your basic coke dealing sleazeball.
    “intuit answers” and does my taxes.

8. Giraffe Monsoon - May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

It’s interesting because Carbo was a pretty darn good hitter. So, some people do good on drugs and some people, like Dave Parker, become awful…At least pre-steroids…Or were steroids available in Carbo’s day? I doubt it.
    We all know about Dock Ellis pitching a no-hitter on acid. The acid back in ’69 was potent too, probably at least 5 times as powerful as anything sold today or in the last 20 years.

9. Area 51 - May 13, 2010 at 7:24 PM

They just showed on TV last night about all the partying that Spaceman did along w/ Carbo

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6361)