May 13, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
In an interview with ESPN for an upcoming “Outside the Lines” segment, longtime major leaguer Bernie Carbo revealed that he tried to pay someone to break Keith Hernandez’s arms in 1985 after Hernandez testified that Carbo introduced him to cocaine when they were teammates on the Cardinals.
I knew some people, and I had $2,000, and I asked them to break his arms. When I went to the individual to have it done he said, “We’ll do it in two or three years if you want it done, but we’re not going to do it today, Bernie. If we went and broke his legs today, or broke his arms, you don’t think they would understand that you are the one that had it done?”
Carbo is most famous for his home run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, but admitted that he played that game and hundreds of others while on drugs.
I was addicted to the point where I couldn’t play without the drugs. Nobody did as many drugs as I did. I was taking mescaline. I was taking cocaine. Crystal meth. Smoking dope and taking pills and drinking. I felt that even though I hit this home run and I reached a place in my life that I dreamed about, it didn’t bring me any happiness.
You can watch the entire interview Sunday morning on ESPN. And someone should probably wake Keith Hernandez up so he can watch.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)