May 13, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT
Phillies’ closer Brad Lidge had an MRI on his wonky elbow today, and the results are pretty good news: only
inflammation and no structural damage. He’s day-to-day.
I say “pretty good” because, as we noted earlier this week, inflammation is a symptom, not a diagnosis, and based on this news item we have no idea what, exactly, is causing the problem. In this way it’s much like your plumber telling you not to worry because he only found a foot of water in your basement, but that there is not a hole in your foundation. But there’s still water. And Brad Lidge’s elbow still hurts.
But I’m just being a pessimist. Maybe now that we know nothing is actually broken or torn it will get better and maybe the Phillies won’t be closing with Jose Contreras anymore.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)