May 13, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Freddy Sanchez finally looks close to rejoining the Giants following knee and shoulder surgeries, going 3-for-5 with three doubles in the first two games of his rehab assignment at Single-A.
Bruce Bochy said Sanchez could be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday if he avoids a setback while moving his rehab stint to Triple-A over the weekend. “Freddy feels like he’s turned a corner,” Bochy said. “We’re not bringing him up to play a day and rest a day. We want to see him with no restrictions.”
On the other hand, it’s sounding more and more like Mark DeRosa may simply take Sanchez’s spot on the DL after saying earlier this week that his offseason wrist surgery was “a total failure.” DeRosa has hit just .224 with a .667 OPS in 83 games since injuring his wrist in the middle of last season, including .194 this year while struggling through numbness in his hand.
After seeing a specialist this week DeRosa told Bochy he was available to pinch-hit, but the manager is choosing to rest him instead and the Giants may opt to put him on the DL if things haven’t improved by tomorrow. In fact, Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that “DeRosa and the Giants must decide if he will have surgery to fix his ruptured nerve sheath now or wait until the offseason.”
When a 35-year-old is contemplating a follow-up surgery to fix a surgery that was “a total failure” just months ago … well, it’s obviously not a good situation. DeRosa and Sanchez are both in the first season of two-year, $12 million contracts.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)