May 13, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
Freddy Sanchez finally looks close to rejoining the Giants following knee and shoulder surgeries, going 3-for-5 with three doubles in the first two games of his rehab assignment at Single-A.
Bruce Bochy said Sanchez could be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday if he avoids a setback while moving his rehab stint to Triple-A over the weekend. “Freddy feels like he’s turned a corner,” Bochy said. “We’re not bringing him up to play a day and rest a day. We want to see him with no restrictions.”
On the other hand, it’s sounding more and more like Mark DeRosa may simply take Sanchez’s spot on the DL after saying earlier this week that his offseason wrist surgery was “a total failure.” DeRosa has hit just .224 with a .667 OPS in 83 games since injuring his wrist in the middle of last season, including .194 this year while struggling through numbness in his hand.
After seeing a specialist this week DeRosa told Bochy he was available to pinch-hit, but the manager is choosing to rest him instead and the Giants may opt to put him on the DL if things haven’t improved by tomorrow. In fact, Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that “DeRosa and the Giants must decide if he will have surgery to fix his ruptured nerve sheath now or wait until the offseason.”
When a 35-year-old is contemplating a follow-up surgery to fix a surgery that was “a total failure” just months ago … well, it’s obviously not a good situation. DeRosa and Sanchez are both in the first season of two-year, $12 million contracts.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)