May 13, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Freddy Sanchez finally looks close to rejoining the Giants following knee and shoulder surgeries, going 3-for-5 with three doubles in the first two games of his rehab assignment at Single-A.
Bruce Bochy said Sanchez could be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as next Wednesday if he avoids a setback while moving his rehab stint to Triple-A over the weekend. “Freddy feels like he’s turned a corner,” Bochy said. “We’re not bringing him up to play a day and rest a day. We want to see him with no restrictions.”
On the other hand, it’s sounding more and more like Mark DeRosa may simply take Sanchez’s spot on the DL after saying earlier this week that his offseason wrist surgery was “a total failure.” DeRosa has hit just .224 with a .667 OPS in 83 games since injuring his wrist in the middle of last season, including .194 this year while struggling through numbness in his hand.
After seeing a specialist this week DeRosa told Bochy he was available to pinch-hit, but the manager is choosing to rest him instead and the Giants may opt to put him on the DL if things haven’t improved by tomorrow. In fact, Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that “DeRosa and the Giants must decide if he will have surgery to fix his ruptured nerve sheath now or wait until the offseason.”
When a 35-year-old is contemplating a follow-up surgery to fix a surgery that was “a total failure” just months ago … well, it’s obviously not a good situation. DeRosa and Sanchez are both in the first season of two-year, $12 million contracts.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)