May 13, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Jarrod Saltalamacchia has had all kinds of problems stemming from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which is a condition that causes arm and hand numbness. He underwent surgery to correct the problem, which involved the removal of a rib, and the Rangers demoted him to the minors after he struggled to come back.
Saltalamacchia has hit exceptionally well at Triple-A, batting .343 with a .952 OPS in 18 games, but his throwing issues have snowballed to the point that he’s now having trouble simply getting the ball back to the pitcher. Here’s more from Bob Hersom of MiLB.com:
In Salty’s last game, Tuesday night at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, 12 of his throws back to the pitcher landed either short of the mound or in center field. He had five errant throws in the first inning alone.
“He’s just got to keep playing until he gets it right,” RedHawks manager Bobby Jones said. “I don’t know what else to do. It’s a shame. It’s definitely what’s keeping him here. He’s blocking the ball well and swinging the bat well. He’s just got to figure it out. It’s a shame.”
Saltalamacchia has repeatedly said that the latest throwing problems are unrelated to his initial injury and his throws to second base on steal attempts have apparently been just fine, which seems to indicate that this is a mental issue rather than a physical one. Whatever the case hopefully he can get past it, because the one-time top prospect has already had enough roadblocks laid in front of him.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 11
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 64
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 48
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)