May 13, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Just minutes after the Royals beat the Indians this afternoon for Zack Greinke’s first win of the season, the team fired manager Trey Hillman.
General manager Dayton Moore struggled to get the words out and appeared to have some tears upon making the announcement during a press conference that’s going on as I type this. Ned Yost will replace Hillman, who went 152-207 in three years on the job.
Obviously the writing has been on the wall for Hillman and it’s tough to argue that he deserved to keep the job, but Moore is actually responsible for building the roster full of veteran mediocrity.
UPDATE: To his credit, when asked if he “let Hillman down” Moore replied: “I look at myself, first and foremost. The failure of this baseball team is predicated on the decisions that I ultimately make in the short term and long term.”
UPDATE #2: Hillman is speaking to the media now. He answered several questions about today’s game first, which was weird, and said he was thankful to go out on a winning note for Greinke. Very poised and classy press conference for Hillman, in general.
UPDATE #3: Hillman revealed that he was told about the firing before the game. “Dayton is first class. He gave me the option this morning.”
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)