May 13, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
Just minutes after the Royals beat the Indians this afternoon for Zack Greinke’s first win of the season, the team fired manager Trey Hillman.
General manager Dayton Moore struggled to get the words out and appeared to have some tears upon making the announcement during a press conference that’s going on as I type this. Ned Yost will replace Hillman, who went 152-207 in three years on the job.
Obviously the writing has been on the wall for Hillman and it’s tough to argue that he deserved to keep the job, but Moore is actually responsible for building the roster full of veteran mediocrity.
UPDATE: To his credit, when asked if he “let Hillman down” Moore replied: “I look at myself, first and foremost. The failure of this baseball team is predicated on the decisions that I ultimately make in the short term and long term.”
UPDATE #2: Hillman is speaking to the media now. He answered several questions about today’s game first, which was weird, and said he was thankful to go out on a winning note for Greinke. Very poised and classy press conference for Hillman, in general.
UPDATE #3: Hillman revealed that he was told about the firing before the game. “Dayton is first class. He gave me the option this morning.”
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)