Royals fire Trey Hillman minutes after victory

May 13, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT

Just minutes after the Royals beat the Indians this afternoon for Zack Greinke’s first win of the season, the team fired manager Trey Hillman.
General manager Dayton Moore struggled to get the words out and appeared to have some tears upon making the announcement during a press conference that’s going on as I type this. Ned Yost will replace Hillman, who went 152-207 in three years on the job.
Obviously the writing has been on the wall for Hillman and it’s tough to argue that he deserved to keep the job, but Moore is actually responsible for building the roster full of veteran mediocrity.
UPDATE: To his credit, when asked if he “let Hillman down” Moore replied: “I look at myself, first and foremost. The failure of this baseball team is predicated on the decisions that I ultimately make in the short term and long term.”
UPDATE #2: Hillman is speaking to the media now. He answered several questions about today’s game first, which was weird, and said he was thankful to go out on a winning note for Greinke. Very poised and classy press conference for Hillman, in general.
UPDATE #3: Hillman revealed that he was told about the firing before the game. “Dayton is first class. He gave me the option this morning.”

1. Funzo - May 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Yost? Talk about out of the frying pan…

2. Andrew - May 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Too bad they won’t give John Gibbons another chance I’d like to see him get another managing job.

3. Ron - May 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM

So Moore still can’t admit that he is as much a part of the problem as anyone else, and won’t resign in order to help make the team better.

4. jwb - May 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

“Trey Hillman gets a vote of confidence from his GM
    Wed May 12,2010 10:10 AM ET By Craig Calcaterra”
    This was a fairly quick turnaround.

5. Curious George - May 13, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Season ain’t over yet!

6. MC - May 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Normally I’d be with Gleeman and jump all over the GM’s the real goat but as I’ve watched the Royals play the Twins early this year, I understand just how good the Twins have it with Gardy. And there’s plenty to gripe about there.
    Hillman was bunting runners over really early in games when they were between -1 and +1 against the Twins (see 3rd best scoring team in AL) and I just don’t care who you are, that’s horrible management. You can’t blame the GM for that.

7. JBerardi - May 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Ned Yost. Wow. Things really are going to be get worse before they get better in KC…

Three legends off to Cooperstown