Tim Tebow puts on a show in batting practice … like, for real

May 13, 2010, 9:21 PM EDT

tebow smiling.jpgWant more Tim Tebow news?  Of course you do.

The former University of Florida quarterback is working out this offseason at Memphis University School, away from the distractions of Florida and Colorado, and this week he was asked to take batting practice with the high school’s baseball team.  How’d it go?  You can probably guess.  According to Ron Higgins of The Commercial Appeal, Tebow hit 12 of 15 pitches he saw out of the park.

“The kids were just awed by how far he hit the ball,” said Tebow’s Memphis-based agent, Jimmy Sexton. “The
best thing about Tim is he thinks he’s just another guy and acts that
way. He’s oblivious to everything going on around him. He doesn’t think
he’s a big deal.

We’ll leave the analysis of his football skills to our good friends at ProFootballTalk, but there’s no doubting that the kid is an athlete.  He was chosen 25th overall by the Broncos in last month’s NFL Draft and can even flash a little pop with a baseball bat.

1. Seymour - May 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Its truly amazing how many people dislike this kid. There must be some vile discontent from opposing fans whom Tebow torched along the way as Gator QB. Or perhaps, maybe this kid has all the traits and characteristics of a good human being that some people cannot even begin to comprehend. Remember folks, vapid jealousy and inexplicable derision is a sign of a caustic imbecile. In other words anybody in the SEC that is not a Florida GATOR fan the last 4 years.

2. paul - May 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

This must be some southern/college football type of thing but why is he such a polarizing figure? But people either want him to be the next Steve Young or the next Akili Smith. Why do people dislike hime so much? I never cared one way or another. Thought he would be an interesting pick for any team because I think he will get on the field one way or another this season for any team.
    I remember when Flutie came out of college and the media and the so called experts would have you believe he didn’t know how to wear his helmet. Same with Steve McNair where the media had you believing his competition was one notch above gym class. Those two guys turned in good careers (didn’t end too good for one of them) This guy will be alright.

3. pb - May 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM

There are a lot of great athletes out there who do great things for their communities, and to serve the Lord (if that is their liking). They just don’t seek the media to document everything. That is why TT gets a bad rap…he (or his agent) makes sure the media knows his every coming and going. Doesn’t his agent realize that this isn’t doing his client (TT) any good? All it is doing is making the public want to puke a little more? And, when he fails…and, I do believe he will not be all that the media is making him out to be (amazing his accolades in the NFL and he hasn’t even taken a snap or run a play)…he will just look more ridiculous than he does right now. Quietly serve the Lord…don’t make it a circus.

4. ojai - May 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Way to go Tim! All these people are just jealous…………….what a bunch of losers.

5. jimharv123 - May 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I had not watched college sports since Peyton left Tennessee because it just was not exciting any longer. I started watching again because of Tebow. He is an amazing athlete, maybe not the greatest QB, but a fantastic athlete all the same. He has done nothing to deserve all of the negativity except what was asked of him at florida….win games and be a leader and role model to the other players. If that is grounds for such vehement dislike then you obnoxious people should be saying the same things about Peyton, Brett, Tom Brady, Kobe Bryant, Joe Montana etc.
    What a bunch of uncouth, simple minded nut jobs on these blogs. You people love to bash anyone who says or does anything you are not comfortable with. I am not a religious or spiritual person but I respect people who have found faith and have a purpose in their lives. You ‘bashing’ people would not last 10 minutes in a room full of athletes that you bad mouthed.
    What a bunch of wankers.

6. Majed - May 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Jen,
    I suspect that you are projecting your own behavior here…
    Seek professional help soon!

7. Paul - May 14, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I have not seen this much hate for a football player since the last “bring him home to mom guy” graduated. Peyton Manning. OK, Tebow is no Peyton for sure. But he is an athlete and he is a poster child for everything we say we want to see in sports. We all harp about the arrest record blotter that has become professional sports and then revile anyone who does it right. I must be missing something here.

8. Paul - May 14, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Or just another member of the Tea Party doing what they do best…

9. Jonny5 - May 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Did I just open the door to an insane asylum? (Door slowly closing…..) See ya nuts later.

10. Omar Minaya - May 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Please Mr. Wilpon, can I sign him?

11. btd - May 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Tebow is polarizing basically because of what Cam says above. People have expectations that he is or should be perfect. Or that he shouldn’t be able to express his thoughts/beliefs publicly despite the whole freedom of speach thing. Or that he’s an obnoxious, hypocritical, holier-than-thou, pretender (@ you Jen).
    But Tebow is in his agents hometown. There is obviously an agenda for him taking BP. It’s a feel good story. I don’t know the guy. And the handlers/agents/teams/media obviously want to prop him up as a role model. He seems fine with and wants the role model position. Time will tell how that works out. I can think of thousands of worse role models for my kids to have. None of this discount the reports about Tebow’s attitude (that he doesn’t view himself as better than others and he’s one of the guys…), or that he’s got a work ethic that would make most of us jealous, or that he’s got physical talents that most of us can only dream of.
    Ultimately, nothing makes him a lock for success at a highly specialized skill in an already exclusive position (only 32 starters in the world ‘any given Sunday’). Even an above average QB would put him in the top 16 in the world. That tells me that the odds are against him being a succes. And many experts question his throwing motion. That’s another hurdle. And he’s chaning his throwing motion. That could go either way.

12. Eugene - May 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I really like T-Bone, he is a good friend to Clifford.

13. Jesuguru - May 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM

God bless, Tim, don’t mind the haters. Stand for what you believe, continue setting a good example (sorely needed in professional sports), continue in your calling, keep living up to what you proclaim. Peace!

14. Utah - May 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I am as much a pro-choice liberal as you will ever meet. I like Tebow and believe that with his skill set, he will do just fine in the NFL. As far as him expressing his views on abortion…good for him. He has the right to be anti-abortion as much as I have the right to be pro-choice. I wont get into the semantics as far as why, but I do believe in each woman’s right to choose what is right for themselves. And, by the way, do you know the difference between a liberal and conservative? It simply boils down to the ability to compromise. In my opinion, liberals can and conservatives can’t. Now excuse me, I don’t want to be late for my abortion.

15. BC - May 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM

As a conservative who is pro-choice and can compromise I take umbrage at you blanket-labelling people as you have.

16. Gator Mike - May 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Tim has never been self promoting butthead. He is an every day guy with an amazing perspective on life and more.Ask th kids who have met him, ask his teammates,neighbors whomever.Guys like you hide behind the anonymity of the web.

17. Don Wood - May 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM

During his years at Fl i talked with people that said he couldn’t pass and was not good.. I always said. if he ever learned how to pass
    he would really be good..that would be after he had thrown for 3/4 TD
    passes and he was doing it with an avg WR group.
    Most of the haters ..hate him because he is a Christian..and does not fit into their Liberal..socialist cocktail hour mentality.
    He should watch out as some of these rich atheists will put up millions for someone to bring him down…that is what they usually do.

18. Cam Winston - May 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM

// And, by the way, do you know the difference between a liberal and conservative?
    Conservatives are for smaller gov’t, less spending, more local control while libs are more inclined for bigger central gov’t. Conservatives think we’re spending enough, libs want single-payer health care, stuff like that.
    Why your thoughts on abortion were pertinent is a mystery, though, as the topic at hand was the near-deranged hatred for Tebow, despite the fact that he’s one of the most successful college QB’s in NCAA history (he won more than the vaunted Peyton Manning). Overexposure explains some, sure. There’s gotta be more.
    // but I do believe in each woman’s right to choose what is right for themselves.
    Unless they want the right to use their payroll taxes & invest in a manner that they see fit, instead of being forced into the social security ponzi scheme. Unless they want their property taxes to be used for school vouchers instead of being forced into sending their kids to failed public schools. Unless they want to pass along their estates to their kids instead of being privy to the death/estate taxes.
    Oh, you mean the right to kill the baby. Those other things that whey want to choose what is best for themselves….not so much, huh?
    When you gonna compromise on THEM?

19. mark - May 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

please tell us how he is over-rated. you base this on what facts?

20. Michael - May 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Over Rated = FSU Fan.

21. Tom - May 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I think he’s overrated because people (like Stewart Mandel of SI) talk like he’s the greatest QB in college football history. Don’t get me wrong, he’s in the Top 10 as he won a Heisman, a National Championship at QB and I think he might be the all-time leader in passer rating (or right up there). But to give him credit for “winning” a National title when he was essentially the fullback for the 2006 Gators (Chris Leak was the QB) seems a little much. That’s a good resume, but is it any better than Matt Leinert’s (same resume basically, better winning percentage) or Tommy Frazier’s (no Heisman but two titles)?

22. postcardfromOH - May 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If he’s that talented, great. He’s unproven in the NFL. We’ll see in December if he’s as great as he and the media thinks he is. I just think he could keep a lower profile. I know the media just eats his crap up with a spoon, but this is a guy with questionable mechanics who hasn’t played a down in the NFL. I don’t see any other draft picks being followed around like Tebow is. Give it a rest, at least until football season starts.

23. ufgrad96 - May 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Utah,
    I appreciate that you can appreciate Tim as an athlete and as solid human being who contributes to a better society through his actions.
    I’m also Pro-Choice which contrasts Tim’s views with regards to abortion, but that shouldn’t give us cause to judge him as a person. The most American thing we can do is support the freedom of choice and the freedom of expression.

24. Randall - May 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM

“pot calling the kettle black”

25. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Athletic ability does not equal good/great football playing. See: Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Lawrence Phillips, Andre Ware, ad nauseum, repeat, rinse and repeat, then finally, rinse with holy water.
    To the rest of you, I don’t have anything against Christians. I was raised one myself. But I don’t agree with the assessment that he is “the best thing since sliced bread” as often advertised. I also take issue with his decision to charge $160 (not $60 as someone erroneously mentioned before) for his autograph. He should be GRATEFUL for all the attention he’s received and pay it forward. Instead he’s paying it forward to himself via his self-named foundation.
    But yeah, those of you who drank the kool-aid, I expect more personal attacks. Whatever. Don’t care since you can’t change my opinion one whit.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3407)