May 13, 2010, 8:35 AM EST
From today’s Tacoma News-Tribune Mariners-Orioles game story by Larry LaRue:
For the second day, none of the players would talk to The News Tribune
in the wake of a players-only meeting that followed a report that Ken
Griffey Jr. was napping in the clubhouse during a game last week.
Are there any grownups working for the Seattle Mariners, or do Mike Sweeney and Ken Griffey, Jr. run everything now?
I mean, fine, be as mad as you want about LaRue’s reporting, but the spectacle of 25 ballplayers shunning someone who’s job it is to cover the team is a pathetic one, especially in light of the fact that the team’s denials of his reporting were tepid and equivocal. Unless the Mariners are seriously accusing LaRue of making his story up out of whole cloth, two of those 25 people shunning him LaRue told him what he reported. If the Mariners have a problem with the substance of it, they should be looking within, not lashing out a beat guy from Tacoma.
Either Don Wakamatsu or Jack Zduriencik needs to tell the Mariners players to get over it and be the bigger men. Larry LaRue isn’t the first reporter to write something negative about this team, and he most certainly won’t be the last, especially given how poorly they’re playing. If the team can’t handle that, how on Earth can they be expected to handle the A’s, Rangers and Angels?
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 36
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 83
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (83)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)