The Mariners continue their childish boycott of Larry LaRue

May 13, 2010, 8:35 AM EST

Mariners logo.gifFrom today’s Tacoma News-Tribune Mariners-Orioles game story by Larry LaRue:

For the second day, none of the players would talk to The News Tribune
in the wake of a players-only meeting that followed a report that Ken
Griffey Jr. was napping in the clubhouse during a game last week.

Are there any grownups working for the Seattle Mariners, or do Mike Sweeney and Ken Griffey, Jr. run everything now?

I mean, fine, be as mad as you want about LaRue’s reporting, but the spectacle of 25 ballplayers shunning someone who’s job it is to cover the team is a pathetic one, especially in light of the fact that the team’s denials of his reporting were tepid and equivocal.  Unless the Mariners are seriously accusing LaRue of making his story up out of whole cloth, two of those 25 people shunning him LaRue told him what he reported. If the Mariners have a problem with the substance of it, they should be looking within, not lashing out a beat guy from Tacoma.

Either Don Wakamatsu or Jack Zduriencik needs to tell the Mariners players to get over it and be the bigger men.  Larry LaRue isn’t the first reporter to write something negative about this team, and he most certainly won’t be the last, especially given how poorly they’re playing.  If the team can’t handle that, how on Earth can they be expected to handle the A’s, Rangers and Angels?

1. Rick - May 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Freak’n reporters. Is someone wants to read te crap that LaRue puts out then they should go buy some tabloid, same crap different day! Go M’s!

2. Oldtimer - May 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

In defense of M-Fan, I’d much rather have some no-nothing like you tell me that stuff to my face and see where YOU stood. Just because you are one of those dumb-asses who buys into the PR these teams generate for these has-beens, and never were’s, don’t be so indignant when someone calls it accurately, just because you are too simple to see it.
    I grew up loving baseball to the degree that I would have played for free, and did, until I was too old to actually compete effectively. That was for the love of the game. I could really give a crap what you think of those of us who are tired of the excuses about these “players” and chest-thumping support you nitwits give to these guys. Baseball, the game, would have been far better off if they had never been born.

3. MVD - May 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Once again, this is real men standing up for each other like real men.
    It doesnt matter what the truth is, they got their teammate’s no matter effing what. There is nothing at all childish about that.

4. Munterhitch - May 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM

You call yourself a M’s fan… PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK ON MY BEHALF EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Speaking of facts correct, you have no facts correct. LaRue didn’t fully do his job as Mike pointed out. He didnt, but should have, asked Wak & Grif before writing the story. Should they both have declined you still write the story and explain they both declined.
    Just because you know some bat boy doesnt give you the right to speak on anyones behalf but your own. Now go back to whatever it is that you do and stop slamming someone who clearly brought something to this discussion (as noted by Craig and others) unlike yourself.
    I call people like you Seattle’s fair weather fans… Your the worst part of Seattle sports. Shut up and support your team, win or lose!!

5. Smerlap - May 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I love that a member of the media is being held accountable. The way the reporters all talk, Mr. LaRue is beyond, beyond reproch, but not the athletes they report about. Obviously the Mariner players have chosen to beleive their teammates, so yes they do think Larry LaRue made it up, fair or not I think that is their judgment. If this bothers the Tribune, change reporters or stop covering the team or….tell the truth.
    I hope it is a long cold year for Mr.LaRue.

6. Michael - May 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM

“two of those 25 people shunning him LaRue told him what he reported.”
    Making those two people very, very cowardly.
    That was what you were getting at there, right Craig?

7. Mike G. - May 14, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Good evening M’s fan. I hope you’re having a good night.
    Just to recap, the facts I laid out were as follows:
    1) Wakamatsu and Griffey both denied the story. This is true, since both Baker and LaRue have reported it.
    2) LaRue didn’t ask Wakamatsu and Griffey for their quotes before he ran the story. This is also true.
    3) The initial story reported that Griffey was unavailable to pinch hit in the 8th inning and that has since been denied by Griffey and Wakamatsu and reported as such by Baker and Drayer. Also true.
    You may disagree with my opinions, but I didn’t get a single fact wrong.
    The issue isn’t that LaRue quoted two unnamed sources. That’s fine. Unnamed sources are a valid part of journalism. But he should have at least tried to contact Wakamatsu and Griffey before he ran with the original story. That, in fact, is good journalism.
    I agree Sweeney and Griffey are hurting the team with their performances and this should be addressed. But I also agree with one of the Seattle Mariners’ blogs (USS Mariner, I think) that correctly points out that Griffey’s naps aren’t an issue (and, really a non-story, as Drayer pointed out in her column) if he’s hitting .300 and bashing HR.

8. Mike G. - May 14, 2010 at 12:49 AM

If this turns out to be true, then LaRue definitely wasn’t lying, the Tacoma News Tribune is at fault for running the story early, and LaRue’s credibility should no longer be called into question and I think it’s fair to admit that it’s not LaRue’s mistake.
    Now it seems like it’s LaRue’s own newspaper that is throwing him under the bus. If Beene’s claim is true that LaRue attempted to contact Griffey before the story ran, then Beene is oddly admitting fault as the editor of the piece. A simple “calls to Griffey seeking comment were not returned” inserted in to the story would have provided the fig leaf LaRue – and TNT – would have needed.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5635)