May 13, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
David Ortiz struck out looking in the ninth inning of yesterday’s Sox-Jays game. I’ve seen Ortiz roll his eyes and grumble about calls before, but he’s not known to be a whiner or anything. He went absolutely nuts after strike three, however, and when you watch the video, you’ll agree that he had a case. That ball would have plunked a righty on the thigh.
But maybe our eyes deceive us! Maybe the camera angle and wind shear and the Doppler effect and stuff tricked our minds into seeing a ball when it really was a strike! Pitch f/x, baby! It’s the only way to be sure!
Nope! Just as bad as it looked. And strike one wasn’t much better.
It happens, I suppose. But as pitch data is becoming easier and easier for the common fan to use, bad calls are becoming harder to take.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)