May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
If I asked 100 of you that question, 97 would say Albert Pujols and three of you would say Derek Jeter, after which you’d tell me that the Yankees Rule!!11!!one!!!
But what if it’s someone else? Someone like . . . Chase Utley. That’s defensive expert John Dewan’s, view of things. Warning: it’s a statty analysis, focusing mostly on Runs Created which, like any statistic that tries to encompass so much into a single number, has its drawbacks.
Still, Dewan is a smart guy, and suggesting that anyone other than Albert Pujols is the best player in the game is a controversial stance, so it’s worth at least a skim, even for the stat-weary among you.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 16
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 44
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 63
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)