May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM EST
If I asked 100 of you that question, 97 would say Albert Pujols and three of you would say Derek Jeter, after which you’d tell me that the Yankees Rule!!11!!one!!!
But what if it’s someone else? Someone like . . . Chase Utley. That’s defensive expert John Dewan’s, view of things. Warning: it’s a statty analysis, focusing mostly on Runs Created which, like any statistic that tries to encompass so much into a single number, has its drawbacks.
Still, Dewan is a smart guy, and suggesting that anyone other than Albert Pujols is the best player in the game is a controversial stance, so it’s worth at least a skim, even for the stat-weary among you.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)