May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
If I asked 100 of you that question, 97 would say Albert Pujols and three of you would say Derek Jeter, after which you’d tell me that the Yankees Rule!!11!!one!!!
But what if it’s someone else? Someone like . . . Chase Utley. That’s defensive expert John Dewan’s, view of things. Warning: it’s a statty analysis, focusing mostly on Runs Created which, like any statistic that tries to encompass so much into a single number, has its drawbacks.
Still, Dewan is a smart guy, and suggesting that anyone other than Albert Pujols is the best player in the game is a controversial stance, so it’s worth at least a skim, even for the stat-weary among you.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)