May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
If I asked 100 of you that question, 97 would say Albert Pujols and three of you would say Derek Jeter, after which you’d tell me that the Yankees Rule!!11!!one!!!
But what if it’s someone else? Someone like . . . Chase Utley. That’s defensive expert John Dewan’s, view of things. Warning: it’s a statty analysis, focusing mostly on Runs Created which, like any statistic that tries to encompass so much into a single number, has its drawbacks.
Still, Dewan is a smart guy, and suggesting that anyone other than Albert Pujols is the best player in the game is a controversial stance, so it’s worth at least a skim, even for the stat-weary among you.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)