May 14, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones, hitting third and fourth respectively in the Pirates order, both had five hits Friday as part of a 10-6 win over the Cubs.
Both also homered, with Jones delivering a tie-breaking three-run shot in the eighth and McCutchen adding a solo blast in the ninth. Jones ended up driving in five runs, while McCutchen scored five times.
It’s the first time in 40 years that two Pirates have had five hits in the same game. On Aug. 1, 1970, Bob Robertson and Willie Stargell both had five hits in a 20-10 win over the Braves.
McCutchen became just the fifth Pirate in the expansion era to score five runs in game, joining Stargell (in the aforementioned contest), Rennie Stennett (in his famous 7-for-7 game), Bobby Bonillla and Brian Giles.
The last time teammates had five hits in a game was last April 15, when Ian Kinsler went 6-for-6 and Marlon Byrd went 5-for-6 in the Rangers’ 19-6 win over the Orioles.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)