May 14, 2010, 6:17 PM EST
Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones, hitting third and fourth respectively in the Pirates order, both had five hits Friday as part of a 10-6 win over the Cubs.
Both also homered, with Jones delivering a tie-breaking three-run shot in the eighth and McCutchen adding a solo blast in the ninth. Jones ended up driving in five runs, while McCutchen scored five times.
It’s the first time in 40 years that two Pirates have had five hits in the same game. On Aug. 1, 1970, Bob Robertson and Willie Stargell both had five hits in a 20-10 win over the Braves.
McCutchen became just the fifth Pirate in the expansion era to score five runs in game, joining Stargell (in the aforementioned contest), Rennie Stennett (in his famous 7-for-7 game), Bobby Bonillla and Brian Giles.
The last time teammates had five hits in a game was last April 15, when Ian Kinsler went 6-for-6 and Marlon Byrd went 5-for-6 in the Rangers’ 19-6 win over the Orioles.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)