May 14, 2010, 1:43 PM EST
Mike Cameron has played three games at Triple-A while rehabbing his strained abdominal muscle, going 2-for-8 with a double and three walks.
Terry Francona initially indicated the Red Sox planned to have Cameron spend 4-5 games in the minors before coming off the disabled list, so barring a setback over the weekend he’s very close to returning. Cameron has said he’s eying the series against the Yankees for his return and that begins Monday night in New York.
Darnell McDonald and John Van Every have split time in center field with Cameron (and Jacoby Ellsbury) out, but despite a very strong first impression from McDonald the pair of minor-league veterans have combined to go just 19-for-83 (.229) with 25 strikeouts.
Cameron is on the verge of returning, but Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe reported yesterday that Ellsbury still has “no timetable” for a rehab assignment of his own.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)