Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright 'in talks' to join Moneyball cast

May 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are signed on to play Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta in the Moneyball movie, and now Variety reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright “are in early talks” to join them.
Hoffman and Moneyball director Bennett Miller worked together on Capote, which won Hoffman an Oscar. No word yet on which role he’d potentially play (maybe manager Art Howe?), but Wright would apparently be cast as Beane’s ex-wife (who I’m fairly certain was a non-entity in Michael Lewis’ book).
I’m still on record as saying that the Moneyball story seemingly doesn’t lend itself to being a good film because of the lack of action and overall drama, but if you look past that and the absurdity of Hill playing DePodesta the cast is shaping up to be pretty intriguing.

1. Bryz - May 14, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I suppose the inclusion of Beane’s ex-wife is going to be an attempt to add more drama to the film. I have to agree though, I don’t have high hopes for this movie, which is really disappointing.

2. Steve B - May 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I think the best way for this movie to work with the current cast would be as a sort of riff on Moneyball, a Thank You for Smoking type of affair that focuses on the central character of Beane as a nonconformist in one of the most conformist environments ever.
    I would be that it would work well as a sort of dramedy.

3. APBA Guy - May 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Since Oakland was recently voted to have the “worst” baseball groupies (by 100 players in an ESPN the Mag poll), that has to figure in the film some way.

4. frug - May 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I guess after all the money The Blind Side made this was inevitable. Good cast but I’m just not sure how this will work as a film. By the way, does anyone know if Steven Soderbergh is still directing?

5. scatterbrian - May 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Steve B, that was sort of how the original script went. It was Beane vs. baseball’s old-school thinking, Beane vs. Art Howe (mainly conflicts over lineups and bullpen usage,) and the “resolution” was the culmination of their 20-game winning streak in 2002. As a film, it would probably be interesting to A’s fans and some diehard baseball fans, but overall it didn’t feel like something the average moviegoer would embrace. (The studio is banking on another “Blind Side” also written by Lewis.)
    I still need to read the Soderbergh version that got him kicked off the project and almost killed the movie, just to see what the differences are. What I do know is the Soderbergh version was going to be much less linear, and based on his notes at the beginning, the script wasn’t an exact outline of what Soderbergh planned. He was going to have about 10% interviews and 10% re-enactments of real events, and as a result “an important portion of this film will be written in the editing room.”

6. Kathy - May 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I needed a lot of caffeine to make it through the book, I can’t even imagine how sleepy the MOVIE would make me! Does the world REALLY need a “Moneyball” movie?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3635)