May 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are signed on to play Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta in the Moneyball movie, and now Variety reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright “are in early talks” to join them.
Hoffman and Moneyball director Bennett Miller worked together on Capote, which won Hoffman an Oscar. No word yet on which role he’d potentially play (maybe manager Art Howe?), but Wright would apparently be cast as Beane’s ex-wife (who I’m fairly certain was a non-entity in Michael Lewis’ book).
I’m still on record as saying that the Moneyball story seemingly doesn’t lend itself to being a good film because of the lack of action and overall drama, but if you look past that and the absurdity of Hill playing DePodesta the cast is shaping up to be pretty intriguing.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)