May 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are signed on to play Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta in the Moneyball movie, and now Variety reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright “are in early talks” to join them.
Hoffman and Moneyball director Bennett Miller worked together on Capote, which won Hoffman an Oscar. No word yet on which role he’d potentially play (maybe manager Art Howe?), but Wright would apparently be cast as Beane’s ex-wife (who I’m fairly certain was a non-entity in Michael Lewis’ book).
I’m still on record as saying that the Moneyball story seemingly doesn’t lend itself to being a good film because of the lack of action and overall drama, but if you look past that and the absurdity of Hill playing DePodesta the cast is shaping up to be pretty intriguing.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)