May 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are signed on to play Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta in the Moneyball movie, and now Variety reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright “are in early talks” to join them.
Hoffman and Moneyball director Bennett Miller worked together on Capote, which won Hoffman an Oscar. No word yet on which role he’d potentially play (maybe manager Art Howe?), but Wright would apparently be cast as Beane’s ex-wife (who I’m fairly certain was a non-entity in Michael Lewis’ book).
I’m still on record as saying that the Moneyball story seemingly doesn’t lend itself to being a good film because of the lack of action and overall drama, but if you look past that and the absurdity of Hill playing DePodesta the cast is shaping up to be pretty intriguing.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)