May 14, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are signed on to play Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta in the Moneyball movie, and now Variety reports that Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright “are in early talks” to join them.
Hoffman and Moneyball director Bennett Miller worked together on Capote, which won Hoffman an Oscar. No word yet on which role he’d potentially play (maybe manager Art Howe?), but Wright would apparently be cast as Beane’s ex-wife (who I’m fairly certain was a non-entity in Michael Lewis’ book).
I’m still on record as saying that the Moneyball story seemingly doesn’t lend itself to being a good film because of the lack of action and overall drama, but if you look past that and the absurdity of Hill playing DePodesta the cast is shaping up to be pretty intriguing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)